The Tradeoff

CleanGSR

Well, I bought a D40 kit (already regret not saving and getting the D80....oh well). I'm getting a Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR lens for christmas for outdoor/nature shooting. Going to replace the kit lens with a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM lens (since I can't afford 1500 for a 28-70 or 17-55). Also trying to decide between the SB-400 and SB600 flash.

Anyway....the Tradeoff? I'm selling my SI wheel and running on the 14's for the next year to year and a half to pay for the camera. Oh well, ever since Brandon was born, I see my focus leaning toward other hobbies where I can include him.

Here's a few pictures with the D40, onboard flash with homemade diffuser. Let me know whatcha think.

47504134.jpg

2ad2d5b1.jpg

8fe533b1.jpg

ad7b6e9b.jpg

a649f000.jpg

By the way.....I'm loving my new toy.

I agree Chris. I can only hope to be 1/100th as good as you are someday. We just got some pro photos done from a girl in our area and her abilities vs. mine are very humbling. It definately gives me something to work toward though.

That's a great trade, man. You'll deffo get more joy out of the camera than an extra set of wheels. And honestly the black sol wheels look sweet on there anyway.

Post up your photos in the general discussion forums, man. I love seeing cool pictures.

Nice. Careful though, once you really start getting into photography it can be more expensive than cars.

Now get off the internet and start taking more pictures :rockon:

nice choice on the camera though, the d40 is so user friendly. you shouldve hit me up, ive been trying to sell mine for awhile now. by the way, brandon is adorable. did you dress him up for halloween?

I'm convinced that there's no hobby in the world more expensive than cars. Unless maybe planes or boats...

But there's just always something to buy for a car.

*Buzzzzer*

Wrong!

Peep this camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5229...tal_Camera.html

Then you'll need a lens (here's an average one)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4655...28mm_f_4_0.html

And that's just for the camera and lens

You'll need a memory card, tripod, lighting, different lenses, computer, editing software, filters and tons of other stuff

High end photography can be just as, if not more, expensive that the average car

If I were to sell all my photo related stuff right now and add that sum to the money I could be by selling my car....I'd be driving an 07 fully loaded 350Z

nice pics man. them girls gone be flockin to his blue eyes when hes older. definitely a good choice with camera>rims. you can get those rims whenever you want, but you can't have sweet baby pictures anytime

*Buzzzzer*

Wrong!

Peep this camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5229...tal_Camera.html

Then you'll need a lens (here's an average one)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4655...28mm_f_4_0.html

And that's just for the camera and lens

You'll need a memory card, tripod, lighting, different lenses, computer, editing software, filters and tons of other stuff

High end photography can be just as, if not more, expensive that the average car

If I were to sell all my photo related stuff right now and add that sum to the money I could be by selling my car....I'd be driving an 07 fully loaded 350Z

I am not generally a person to knock one's hobbies..

But that's f*cking insane!

When you watch NFL games, take note of the cameras on the sidelines. The average NFL photographers camera + lens usually equals somewhere around $12-13k.

yeah but once you start spending 30 grand on a camera, i dont think its a hobby. atleast id hope not

Yea .. sounds like more of a job.

When you watch NFL games, take note of the cameras on the sidelines. The average NFL photographers camera + lens usually equals somewhere around $12-13k.

Yea .. my bad guys. I wuz talkin' oot mah azz.

when he gets older you can include him in cars gung , lol. its only temporary. my little guy isnt even 2 yet , he hangs in the garge with me steady , lol. i give him a 1/4" drive extension and tell him to fix the car , and he goes around and taps the extension on various parts , lol. fukin hilarious. he says honda clear as a bell , lol.

good choice, hung. ive always wanted to pick up a nice camera and start getting into photo, but i just never seem to have the money to do so (mainly since i buy crap for my car or am paying off bills lol). cute kid too. im almost at the end of modding my car for a while, so maybe i can pick up a camera.

Nice. Careful though, once you really start getting into photography it can be more expensive than cars.

Now get off the internet and start taking more pictures :rockon:

It's the truth. I'm already saving for 2 new lenses that will be around $1200 for both. The sad part...... these are less expensive lenses that I have to compromise with. The ones I really want are around 1200 each.

nice choice on the camera though, the d40 is so user friendly. you shouldve hit me up, ive been trying to sell mine for awhile now. by the way, brandon is adorable. did you dress him up for halloween?

I forgot all about you selling your D40. I really like the camera, I'm just not crazy about the fact that it has no AF motor built in. So...the only lenses I can get that will autofocus are AF-S lenses and Sigma HSM lenses. THis sucks because I'd really like to get a fast low light prime like a 50mm f1.8, but I'm not sure how I feel about manually focusing all the time with certain lenses.

We dressed him up as a pirate for halloween. Pictures were okay, but I played around with ISO 800 w/o flash around dusk so they're a little grainy. Will be better when I can get a better flash and diffuser.

nice pics man. them girls gone be flockin to his blue eyes when hes older. definitely a good choice with camera>rims. you can get those rims whenever you want, but you can't have sweet baby pictures anytime

This is exactly my thoughts. I figure when the wife graduates from college and starts teaching (double income), then I can save and get some real wheels without settling for some knockoff. Plus I wanted the best baby pictures of Brandon for the rest of our lives than wheels that I won't even remember 5 years from now.

good choice, hung. ive always wanted to pick up a nice camera and start getting into photo, but i just never seem to have the money to do so (mainly since i buy crap for my car or am paying off bills lol). cute kid too. im almost at the end of modding my car for a while, so maybe i can pick up a camera.

I finally just had to put the car hobby on hold for awhile otherwise I never would have afforded it either. It kinda sucks but this new hobby is so much fun and I'm learning a lot. Plus my car still looks decent with the "winter" wheels.

Archived