Sterrin wheel vibrates

96 Civic

I have a 1996 honda Civic. I notice that when I drive between 75-80 mph my stering wheel vibrates. I replaced the tires but the problems was still there. balance the tires about 5 times and the vibration still there, I had a local tire shop check my hardware and everything according to them is fine, later they found 2 defected wheels, which I have replaced all with new ones. but the problems still seems to be there. any advice?

• 3 months later...

The cars alignment WILL NOT CAUSE a vibration - Unless your wheel alignment is WAY out of spec...I mean you can obviously see that the wheels are WAY crooked when you look at the car.

did you check the tie rods?? lowerball joints?? I had a similar problem occur with a 96 Camry, and it turned out to be the lower ball joints...You couldnt tell they were bad when mounted to the car and like put a hand at 12 oclock and 6 o clock and try to move the wheel. But soon as I disassembled them off the control armm, I could pop them in and out easily!...At normal speeds like 20-50 mph there was no shaking, soon as you hit the highway the shaking appeared!....just an idea!.....

Archived