Engine Swap

horizanGray_CIVIC

I have a 95 honda civic lx 4 door, curb weight is 2300 lbs if im not mistaken, i was wondering which engine should i swap i only have about 2k maybe a little less but i was thinking H22, B16, or b18. i found all these engines for around 2k but was wondering which would be best for my car. I know the h22 makes good power but is kinda of heavy and would throw off my weight dist. Any suggestions appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 95 honda civic lx 4 door, curb weight is 2300 lbs if im not mistaken, i was wondering which engine should i swap i only have about 2k maybe a little less but i was thinking H22, B16, or b18. i found all these engines for around 2k but was wondering which would be best for my car. I know the h22 makes good power but is kinda of heavy and would throw off my weight dist. Any suggestions appreciated.

go with the b18

h22, that is what i am getting, i will cost more and harder to install but imo it will be worth it.

btw it is not too much of a weight difference.

there is a site on the internet where a guy did a h22 swap into a civic and on the faq part i pulled this.

5. How much does a h22 weight? Wouldnt all the extra weight cause it to understeer and plow the front end during cornering?

The h22 swap weights around 75 pounds more than a b16 swap but most of the weight is pushed closer to the firewall than a b16. If you look at the way the s2000 was designed the motor sits behind the front suspension distrubting the wieght more towards the middle for excellent handling. Well since the h22 sits further back the 75 pounds doesnt make as much of a difference as it may seem. Putting 75 pounds on the front bumper and adding 75 pounds to the driver would be a completly differnt car. I have a carbon fiber hood so thats around 15 pounds lighter right there so i really didnt feel my car handled any worse than my b16 with out the z10 bars.

It is not as heavy as everybody thinks.

But it is you money and you can get whatever you want.

if i were you i would just drop a b20 vtec one of the best motor i think. fully built will run you about 3k to 4k simi built is less then 2k. the engine is out of a crv and is worth only like $500 and the head is off a b16 but joined its one mean engine. the b16 is not a good choice i would only put that engine in a crx or hatch for civics i wouldnt go lower then a b18c a gsr ls are weak and type r are strong but they can only go so far. but a b20 with a gsr intake manfold, cromed ecu with 2 step high compression pistions and some gsr cams will do some damage but leave it all motor

you are forgetting about the h22, that is what i would put in my car. The only thing that is bad is the tranny merged with the h22 is not that great, but there are replacements for that. So yeah don't mess with the b-series and be like everybody else. get a h22! be different.

• 4 weeks later...

If i was going boosted street car then I would drop in the b16. If I was doing a n/a car and was looking for just a nice drop in motor with good power then the b18c is a nice motor. You could always just get the b16 and get a b20 long block with some piston mods, and oiling mods and you would have a nice street motor.

• 2 weeks later...

when it comes to building a real track motor u should always sleeve the block

and go with your own build in your 4 dr a h22 hmm pretty nice with some boost

im in NY & if you are i could sell you my legit h22 with papers and give u money back warranty and a notery and copy of my licences im only selling my h22+5speed gear box swap for $1,500.00 with axcels

when it comes to building a real track motor u should always sleeve the block

and go with your own build in your 4 dr a h22 hmm pretty nice with some boost

im in NY & if you are i could sell you my legit h22 with papers and give u money back warranty and a notery and copy of my licences im only selling my h22+5speed gear box swap for $1,500.00 with axcels

Archived