Dream Suspension Package

When I do finally lower the sol I'm gonna go for a 2" drop all around, I think. Prolly get some extended top hats to make up for the first inch and then do the dented shock trick that HungGSR did to make up for the second. That way I should have just as much travel as stock, even though I'll be dropped two inches. I think that works, right?

So, now the fun part:

What's the optimal suspension package, sparing no expense?

Objective: Improve cornering, reduce body roll, increase chassis strength/rigidity, and maintain a comfortable (but not cushy) ride.

Ideas:

Ground Control Extended Top Hats

Ground Control coilovers

Tokico Illumina struts

Energy suspension bushings

Omni front/rear LCAs

Skunk2 front/rear UCAs

Eibach anti-sway damper kit

ASR rear subframe brace

Tanabe 2pt under brace

PWJDM 3pt front strut tower bar

PWJDM 4pt rear strut tower bar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the ground control koni yellow setup for about a week man and i love it. it really rides great and feels really great. with the struts turned all the way soft it still feels stiff but not very bumpy and you have the ability to adjust the damping if need be. i looked around at alot before i bought these and it was between these and PIC selects and omnipower.

SolLes, what would you suggest? I don't know too many brands but have heard good things about GC.

Koffee, I considered Koni Yellows but didn't actually know they were adjustable. That makes a world of difference. I thought those were mostly track struts.

Any more suggestions, people? I thought lots of people would weigh in on this one...

When I did mine, I asked here also, and I believe SolLes was one of the few people that said Koni Yellows, so that's what I got.

Fantastic...

And I got the Eibach Pro Springs- 1" I believe

And Eibach roll bars, but never put them in because apparently they were for EX only. Maybe they'll fit now on my '05???

I'm still pimping stock, so I have nothing to offer experience wise. But I am intently watching and reading as I will need to be redoing much of the suspension before too long.

I'm enjoying the ride quality of stock right now as well. But it's honestly not much more comfortable than my setup on the last del sol and handles significantly worse, so my review is: hook that sh!t up.

Whatever you do, don't get a Beaks tie bar. It's great if you're not as dumped as I am. I broke one ..... well, bent the hell out of it lol.

Omni full coilovers are nice, but my dream setup...

Apex'i Coilovers (36 way adjustable, perfect for street or track) --- My buddy has them. They is sick.

ASR Subframe Reinforcement (sitting in my living room)

ITR 23mm rear sway (also sitting in my living room)

Omni rear LCA's (have them on the car now)

Omni front LCA's (also on the car now)

Mugen front and rear strut bars (on my car)

Stock camber kit with adjustments (like it is now -- used to have aftermarket and just got rid of it)

Cusco del sol Roll cage (I'll shed some pics when it finally gets to my house!)

For a street setup, I too would go with the GC/Koni combo. Maybe 350 front 380 rear. Stock control arms with poly bushings, ITR rear swaybar and ASR subframe brace, OEM front upper strut tower bar, stock front sway bar, No rear strut tower bar, stock Upper control arms, no camber kit. Just get an alignment to fix the toe. 15x7 wheels with some 205/50 tires around a 300-320 treadwear. You dont need to so sooo super extreme if you want this to be a street setup and still maintain a comfortable ride. It wouldnt be dumped either, maybe a 2 inch drop or so, enough to fit a finger in between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender all the way around.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice.

Have you heard of any such thing that's like a big X that goes under the car and connects the chassis at four points? I thought that's what Tanabe had but I only saw the 2pt under brace. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Cuz I don't.

i've seen the X brace in the cab on hatches, but never anything under the car.

I would think it would have a detrimental effect on your clearance though. Espicially on a dropped car.

Nice.

Have you heard of any such thing that's like a big X that goes under the car and connects the chassis at four points? I thought that's what Tanabe had but I only saw the 2pt under brace. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Cuz I don't.

yeah, carbing makes a kit for that also, makes a huge difference in handing. a little different from the tanabe set up. heres a link.

Whoa, nice link. I'm gonna get the whole carbing setup at some point. Maybe even before upgrading the actual suspension components just to feel the difference. I hate how soft the chassis of old cars feel as opposed to brand new ones. Seems like every time they slightly change a car they also increase chassis strength by 50-200%.

I wanted an underbrace but I am afraid of scraping the crap out of it everywhere.

yeah they would be an inch off the ground on your car

john, you should definitely get sway bars, they made my car handle so well and theres basically no body roll. im gonna get a front strut tower bar soon, just gotta see if they make that one in my thread in black, and then im getting it. so i'll let you know how much it actually helps