Broken timing belt while driving

Honda757

I have a 95 Accord non-vtech, 2.0, 100k. The timing belt had broken while driving on the Interstate. I know that it is possible that I may have valve stem and piston damages, but what way can I tell for sure if I do have the damages or should I just go ahead and install a new belt?

if it were me, i would pull the head off and check for any internal damage; you never know what's going on unless you take a look. there's lots of things that could happen - damaged piston, damaged valve, cam, or you could even have a piece of metal that broke off and is floating around in your engine somewhere - not good.and while you're at it, it would probably be a good idea to replace piston rings and valve seals- you'd hate to take it apart, put it all back together, then a couple months later realize you're starting to burn oil.

what kind of noises did you hear during the incident? just throw a new belt on and start it. its probably fine. if it runs , leakdown and compression test it. than youl know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the valve cover and upper timing cover off and the timing belt was still intact. I did noticed that the cam pulley bolt was very loosen and barely screwed in. However, due to the bolt being so loose it cause the camshaft and cam pulley to strip out the notch that connects the pulley to the cam. What should I do now? Any advice. Should I treat this like a broken timing belt; as in pulling the heads or what?

• 4 weeks later...
I took the valve cover and upper timing cover off and the timing belt was still intact. I did noticed that the cam pulley bolt was very loosen and barely screwed in. However, due to the bolt being so loose it cause the camshaft and cam pulley to strip out the notch that connects the pulley to the cam. What should I do now? Any advice. Should I treat this like a broken timing belt; as in pulling the heads or what?

If that is loose I would want to look at the end of the camshaft very closely. The woodruff key that goes in the slot may have sheared or opened up the slot due to the looseness. Depending upon how badly things got out of timing the valves and pistons may be involved as well.

Archived