Ok im still rokin the ps3 and i need something new...

I was looking at the 360 for the price and for the fact that they come with "Forza 2" and a "Marvel" game for free....then i saw how many features the PS3 has and i figured $200 more isnt so bad.

BUT... in ur alls opinion wat should i get? (in all aspects...features, graphics, performance, and if each system has any malfunctions i should know of or watch out for)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS3 has had price drops...

20 and 60 gigs are discontinued, whatever is left in stock is all there is. Some merchants are bundling those systems to get them off the shelves.

80gb was released in August or so, at the $599 price point. 60 gig dropped to $499 because of this.

80gb just recently dropped to $499, and comes with some game now.

New addition is the 40gb which will be $399 and will come with Spider-Man 3 blu-ray. The 40 gig has no ps2 backwards compatibility, but i *think* it has wi-fi and hdmi.

PS3 has had price drops...

20 and 60 gigs are discontinued, whatever is left in stock is all there is. Some merchants are bundling those systems to get them off the shelves.

80gb was released in August or so, at the $599 price point. 60 gig dropped to $499 because of this.

80gb just recently dropped to $499, and comes with some game now.

New addition is the 40gb which will be $399 and will come with Spider-Man 3 blu-ray. The 40 gig has no ps2 backwards compatibility, but i *think* it has wi-fi and hdmi.

yeah the 80 has no backwards copatibilities either from wat the guys at gamestop said. But i think i do want PS3...cant let go of Grand Turismo and Metal Gear Solid. Think i might go for the 40 tho. how much are warranties running for?

According to Sony, the 80 gig has backwards, but not for all games. I'm sure that all major titles would play fine. PS2 had issues with some obscure PS1 titles not playing, but the major games seemed to all work fine.

Not sure about the warranties.

Probably going to order an 80 gig next week.

i go for th3 360. I play Live alot and it's sweet, I havent played PS3's online but I know the PS2 version sucks out the a$$. but yeah I dont see any good games for it, and where I live people that have a PS3 only use it as a Blu-ray player. I like my Live and Halo. hahah but that's just me.

After taking pot-shots at the 360's poor attempt at backwards compatiblity, Sony just introduced the 40GB PS3 which has no PS2 Backwards Compatibility at all. The 80GB emulates it's PS2 compatibility which isn't as reliable as the 60GB, which has the PS2's Emotion Engine. Tough choice, but hey, Sony keeps introducing new models and killing off old ones. In all honesty, I'd keep an eye out for a cheaper 60GB. PS3 games are far and few between since they seem to get delayed...OFTEN. After telling gamers rumble was last-generation, they have finally introduced the DualShock controller for the PS3. Won't come bundled, since it won't debut in America until after Christmas most likely.

The 360 at the moment has Halo going for it and a lot of support from 3rd party publishers. It also has a well accepted online service with LIVE. The 360 has had the more traditional price drop (without taking out features to make it cheaper and killing off other models) that puts the Arcade bundle well within reach of potential Wii owners. Also, the 360 has been notorious for overheating which Microsoft believes is in the past as newer systems have better chips and build quality.

What it comes down to when choosing between the PS3 and the 360 are the exclusives. Since big games like Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 4, Assasin's Creed and mulitiple other triple A titles will be available for both systems. In my mind, genre-wise, PS3 will have a more diverse library vs. the 360, which tends to cater to much to the hardcore user. But, how long are you willing to wait for the games? It's been one long year for PS3 owners with a trickle of games and every hardcore gamer knows: install base is what gets you games. The larger the install base is for one system...the more 3rd party publishers will put out games for that system. If PS3 does not improve dramatically over this holiday season, most likely all those PS2 owners holding out will be moving on to the 360 or the Wii which will have a stellar holiday season since a lot of their big games are coming out in a couple weeks/months.

For me, I think my PS2 and Wii can hold me over. I seriously want to see what this holiday does before committing to another system. You wouldn't think it from the above, but at the moment, I'd get a PS3 - just based on the potential of the games that will/may come out for the system.

^ Yeah, the 80gb emulates, the emotion engine was removed. This is a big factor in the cost reduction, but also the big rumor is right now that Sony is aiming to release a $299 Blu-Ray player for the holiday season, and since BR is another huge cost involved in the PS3 right now, a good drop in stand-alone player prices will be passed on to the console.

I'm going to be ordering a PS3 in a few days, and now I'm tossing up between the 40 and 80 gig. Ideal is the 60 gig, but for the same cost is the 80 gig where I'd lose some compatibility, but get a free game (not that I'd really be interested in that game, lol). Or, save $100, get no backwards, and get Spider-Man 3 BR... Either way, the PS3 will be hooked up to the plasma in the LR, and the PS2 could always remain in the bedroom... Tough call right now :p

Is the DualShock controller an officially licensed product? I haven't paid much attention to it, but recall Sony execs saying in EGM a while back that they felt it wasn't necessary but felt that 3rd parties would most likely release some.

Speaking of delays, just finally found yesterday that GTA IV is pushed off until APRIL now (!!!).

As for the 360, it obviously has a huge library, and would probably be the ideal choice if you're into console FPS and online gaming. There is the overheating issue, if you make sure to power it off when you're done playing then you may be good for a while on that. There's the "three rings of death". I've seen the 3 red rings, where you have to remove the hard drive or memory card, power it on, then re-insert the HD or MC. I could never own the 360, mostly because unlike most everyone in the world, I HATE the controllers. They feel way to big and bulky in my hands, and I have to shift my entire hand(s) to reach some of the buttons.

Most games will be available for both systems. Microsoft is latching on to get exclusive downloads for some games (ie, GTA IV), but is that enough to pick one system over the other? Not in my mind, an extra download or even a handful of them won't change the gameplay.

I don't really consider the Wii in the same class as the 360 and PS3. It's a completely different gaming experience. I love my Wii, but I really don't play it all that much. It really is much more fun to play with more than one person, although maybe I should break Zelda out again and continue on with it. The Wii has had a great time since launch, and it'll continue throughout the holidays, but they really need to get some 3rd party publishing support in order to keep afloat. The kiddie games will only take them as far as the GameCube went. Quality will take them much further than quantity.

After taking pot-shots at the 360's poor attempt at backwards compatiblity, Sony just introduced the 40GB PS3 which has no PS2 Backwards Compatibility at all. The 80GB emulates it's PS2 compatibility which isn't as reliable as the 60GB, which has the PS2's Emotion Engine. Tough choice, but hey, Sony keeps introducing new models and killing off old ones. In all honesty, I'd keep an eye out for a cheaper 60GB. PS3 games are far and few between since they seem to get delayed...OFTEN. After telling gamers rumble was last-generation, they have finally introduced the DualShock controller for the PS3. Won't come bundled, since it won't debut in America until after Christmas most likely.

The 360 at the moment has Halo going for it and a lot of support from 3rd party publishers. It also has a well accepted online service with LIVE. The 360 has had the more traditional price drop (without taking out features to make it cheaper and killing off other models) that puts the Arcade bundle well within reach of potential Wii owners. Also, the 360 has been notorious for overheating which Microsoft believes is in the past as newer systems have better chips and build quality.

What it comes down to when choosing between the PS3 and the 360 are the exclusives. Since big games like Resident Evil 5, Call of Duty 4, Assasin's Creed and mulitiple other triple A titles will be available for both systems. In my mind, genre-wise, PS3 will have a more diverse library vs. the 360, which tends to cater to much to the hardcore user. But, how long are you willing to wait for the games? It's been one long year for PS3 owners with a trickle of games and every hardcore gamer knows: install base is what gets you games. The larger the install base is for one system...the more 3rd party publishers will put out games for that system. If PS3 does not improve dramatically over this holiday season, most likely all those PS2 owners holding out will be moving on to the 360 or the Wii which will have a stellar holiday season since a lot of their big games are coming out in a couple weeks/months.

For me, I think my PS2 and Wii can hold me over. I seriously want to see what this holiday does before committing to another system. You wouldn't think it from the above, but at the moment, I'd get a PS3 - just based on the potential of the games that will/may come out for the system.

wow...where did u copy and paste that from.lol jk.

good info tho :thumbsup:

wow...where did u copy and paste that from.lol jk.

good info tho :thumbsup:

LOL...Hardcore Gamer at heart...Its just random stuff you pick up I guess after following Nintendo, Sega, Sony for so many years.

And yes...the Dualshock 3 is real. It was announced at the Tokyo Game Show this year as part of a white PS3 bundle for Japan. The whole "rumble is last-gen" and "rumble is not cost effective" was kind of a cover-up since Sony had broken some rumble patent at the time of PS3 development. Like 2 or 3 months ago they settled and the rumble came back officially last month.

Not much a fan of the 360 controller either...but hey it beats the original XBox controller...lol.

The Wii has it's core games coming up...Metroid 3 started it off and Mario Galaxy is almost here. Besides, Guitar Hero III and The Simpsons Game...there is Zack & Wiki, Battallion Wars, Medal of Honor 2 (which is being touted as the best FPS control since Metroid Prime 3), Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Soul Caliber Legends, Nights, Ghost Squad, Geometry Wars, and Mario & Sonic. Next year...Brawl and Mario Kart. Dude that's all I need...

LOL...Hardcore Gamer at heart...Its just random stuff you pick up I guess after following Nintendo, Sega, Sony for so many years.

And yes...the Dualshock 3 is real. It was announced at the Tokyo Game Show this year as part of a white PS3 bundle for Japan. The whole "rumble is last-gen" and "rumble is not cost effective" was kind of a cover-up since Sony had broken some rumble patent at the time of PS3 development. Like 2 or 3 months ago they settled and the rumble came back officially last month.

Not much a fan of the 360 controller either...but hey it beats the original XBox controller...lol.

The Wii has it's core games coming up...Metroid 3 started it off and Mario Galaxy is almost here. Besides, Guitar Hero III and The Simpsons Game...there is Zack & Wiki, Battallion Wars, Medal of Honor 2 (which is being touted as the best FPS control since Metroid Prime 3), Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Soul Caliber Legends, Nights, Ghost Squad, Geometry Wars, and Mario & Sonic. Next year...Brawl and Mario Kart. Dude that's all I need...

Haha, at least I'm not the only one that doesn't really care for the 360 controller. Everyone touts how it's the best and most comfortable controller ever... not for me, just bulky and uncomfortable to use. Never used or held the original Xbox controller though.

Mario Kart, yay, I'll finally be able to use this Wii steering wheel I got for free a while back lol. I love the whole motion sensor thing, but the Wii will just be my casual "kill 5-15 minutes" console. I have spent a lot of time in one sitting on Paper Mario and Zelda, but I haven't even cared much to play those in a while. It's good that they are planning more major releases, everything has pretty much been crap so far. I somehow have more games for the Wii than I do for my PS2 or did for my GC or PS, but they're just games that are fun to pick up and goof off with every now and again, nothing that I have a great desire to play too often.

Now if only FFXIII, GTA IV, & Silent Hill 5 could get released already...

i think the best choice for this moment is the 360. It currently has the best games out and by far the most, XBOX live is amazing, it has the HD-DVD add-on if you want it, and finally the problems with overheating are fixed.

i think the PS3 has a lot of things that will be used in the future very well but not right now. Developers can't figure out how to make use of the power of the processor and everything in it. The blu-ray player is nice and worth it alone in that (a stand alone is 700 bucks for a decent one) and the bluetooth support and all other things are nice. It does not have the games right now and more then likely wont have great ones for another year.

Buy a 360 now and enjoy it, get the HD-DVD addon (transformers....is amazing) too. Wait and save for a 9-12 months and buy a PS3 then it will be cheaper then and finally have stuff to really put it ahead in the next gen war

"The 360 is this generation's PS2."

thats a pretty good way of putting it, the PS3 may have slightly better graphics and be a bit faster, but the 360 has a much bigger library of games, which are also much better games, its cheaper, xbox live rules, the interface is so simple and just works, halo is one of the best games of all time, the daddy GTA 4 is going to be out on it same time as PS3, the controller fits in to your hand perfectly, the triggers on the back of the controller are just perfect for shooters and driving games, ok so what it doesn't have the motion sensitivity (but then if you want that properly then spend £180 and get a Wii). What has the PS3 got? a 10 year old controller design that is horrible to hold after using a 360 controller, rip off motion sensitivity, slightly better graphics (that you probably wont notice unless you've got a big HD telly), a smaller catalogue of games, constant tries to get people to buy it by lowering the price and taking things out of it, its a bigger console (not that i give a crap about that, but PS2 fans seemed to rip it out of the xbox cos it was a big console).

you might be getting the hint that I'm a 360 fan...and really think you ought to get a 360 and not a PS3! get a 360, then get a PS3 in about a year or 2 when the price has been slashed in half, and they have a big range of games. you wont be missing out on anything if you buy a 360. and blueray discs? whats wrong with DVDs? your just a fool if you buy a PS3 cos of that...your getting owned.

360 has been out for years now, of course there is a bigger library.

PS3's home beats 360's dashboard

PS3 has free online (don't know much about it other than that, and don't really care, online gaming is at the bottom of my personal priority list)

Controllers fitting "perfectly" in your hand is subjective.

Sixaxis is nothing like the Wii remotes

PS controller design has worked well for them, why fix what's not broken?

People who are spending $400+ on a video game console usually have "big HD" TVs, and if graphics weren't such a big deal, people wouldn't use that as an argument for the Wii or would probably just keep their previous gen consoles.

Sony removed the emotion engine, in favor of a less expensive way to offer backwards compatibility (80gb only). Replacing one thing can hardly be considered "constant".

What was wrong with VHS?

No...I wouldn't give the 360 the title of "this generation's PS2."

If you look at it based on sales worldwide, the 360 has not yet pulled what the PS2 has. The only system that rivals the PS2's crazy adoption rate from launch was the Wii. In the 360's largest market, America, the Wii has pulled an average between 80k-120k units a week since launch, which no other system has seen since the PS2. Relatively, this has also happened in Europe. In Japan, the 360 doesn't even exist - where it sells a consistent 3k a week vs. the PS3 10k a week or the Wii's 20k a week. And considering the PS3 sales have stabilized worldwide shortly after it's launch, it's quite interesting that it's install base has grown larger than the 360's outside of America. So the 360 may have built a lead with it's year long headstart, but it's not doing much to maintain it. Granted it does have the games at the moment, but if it continues to lose the install base to the PS3 and even the Wii, then overall the library will become small. Looking at this holiday alone, the Wii is chugging out way more games than what is coming out for the 360 or the PS3.

You can argue all you want about technical horsepower, graphical processing, and what not, but based on video game trends, those factors have not had as strong influence on "winning the console wars". It's all about cost...which Microsoft and Sony are having issues with.

right now the 360 is definitely more popular in the US than the ps3 simply because it came out what a year before the ps3, its more affordable, and it has games like halo3 and gears of war. give the ps3 a year for the price to drop and some more games to come out and the ps3 vs 360 will turn into playstation vs n64, where the ps clearly wins

right now the 360 is definitely more popular in the US than the ps3 simply because it came out what a year before the ps3, its more affordable, and it has games like halo3 and gears of war. give the ps3 a year for the price to drop and some more games to come out and the ps3 vs 360 will turn into playstation vs n64, where the ps clearly wins

only thing n64 had that was good would be, Mario 64 and 007 (the first one)!!!

PS was like the start of the future for everyone...it changed the world forever

Alright heres it goes:

Ps3- If you going to buy one get a 20GB or 60GB, they are the sole ones that have a true blueray player in them....the new 80GB offer more space but due to that GB upgrade they downgraded the blueray player...meaning it plays like sh1t. Also ALL of the PS3 systems do not come Ps2 and Ps1 backward compatible. You need to download a free patch online which takes seconds to download for your system to play all backward games. Ps2 and Ps3 games can be saved directly to the hardrive, if your going to play psone classics like FFVII and Older resident evils, they need an external hook up which is like 15 bucks to insert your ps1 memory card to save to.

360: If you decided to go this route, just buy a standard premium one....unless you plan on modding your xbox or putting a crap load of files on it, then buy the external hardrive or if you can find them the 360 elites. Every game that is coming out for PS3 EXCEPT Grand Turismo is going to be coming out for 360, so YES they are releasing METAL GEAR 4 for 360, it has been confirmed by some but not all. That is the only reason why i bought a ps3...but ended up getting rid of that dust bucket. lol..

synopsis: get a 360, its a way better console, unless you want a cheap blue ray player/ video game system that releases all its games way after the fact they come out for 360.

Alright heres it goes:

Ps3- If you going to buy one get a 20GB or 60GB, they are the sole ones that have a true blueray player in them....the new 80GB offer more space but due to that GB upgrade they downgraded the blueray player...meaning it plays like sh1t. Also ALL of the PS3 systems do not come Ps2 and Ps1 backward compatible. You need to download a free patch online which takes seconds to download for your system to play all backward games. Ps2 and Ps3 games can be saved directly to the hardrive, if your going to play psone classics like FFVII and Older resident evils, they need an external hook up which is like 15 bucks to insert your ps1 memory card to save to.

360: If you decided to go this route, just buy a standard premium one....unless you plan on modding your xbox or putting a crap load of files on it, then buy the external hardrive or if you can find them the 360 elites. Every game that is coming out for PS3 EXCEPT Grand Turismo is going to be coming out for 360, so YES they are releasing METAL GEAR 4 for 360, it has been confirmed by some but not all. That is the only reason why i bought a ps3...but ended up getting rid of that dust bucket. lol..

synopsis: get a 360, its a way better console, unless you want a cheap blue ray player/ video game system that releases all its games way after the fact they come out for 360.

hmmm...never heard of them downgrading the blu-ray player. It was widely covered that they removed the Emotion Engine and used more efficient chips to have the PS3 run cooler. Can't find anything on the downgraded blu-ray player tho...

As for PS1 games, you do not need an external hookup. All you need to do is build a virtual memory card on your HD.

I second never hearing about a down-graded BR player, and it makes no sense at all that people would even claim that. The PS3 was released when BR players were still carrying the $999 and above price tag, with the PS3 at $499 and $599. Sharp now has a BR player selling for $499, and rumor is that Sony wants to launch one at $299 for the holidays. PS3 is now $399 and $499.

Square Enix has confirmed that Final Fantasy will remain a PS exclusive, so the slew of FFXIII titles they have planned will be for the PS3 (aside from any handheld titles they may release). FFVII was a pretty big factor in the original PlayStation's success.

Most PS3/360/Wii titles are all released on the same day. The 360 has tried to land some games prior to being launched on the PS3, but has not had luck with all. Most notably is GTA IV which they hoped to release first, but the game is now slated for a later release date, where it will be available for both consoles on the same day.

20gb PS3 is extinct, unless you buy one used. Chances of finding one sitting in a store is extremely slim. 60gb is almost non-existent at this point as well.

The base model 360 is the core system, which is the one that comes with wired controllers and no hard drive.

Archived