Anyone know much about towing vehicles?

compuvision02

I am looking into getting something to tow my car around, will 99.9% have to get rid of the sedan to do so, but wanted to see if anyone had any opinions. I want something semi-decent looking, but with the ability to last. For the price range of under $3000, not too much "pretty" things come up, but that isn't as important. Anyways, I know it is pretty good to have a two wheel drive, but would a Jeep be able to do it with the 4x4? They look decent and are fairly cheap now. Needs to be able to tow atleast 3000lbs. I am high estimating, since the car is probably around 2200-2400lbs not including a trailer.

v refer to sig

Are you implying I should use your WS6 as a tow vehicle? Haha!

You think a 4.0 Jeep should be okay for daily driving and towing like once a week? The track I go to, the drive is fairly flat, very minimal, if any, up hill stops.

Are you implying I should use your WS6 as a tow vehicle? Haha!

You think a 4.0 Jeep should be okay for daily driving and towing like once a week? The track I go to, the drive is fairly flat, very minimal, if any, up hill stops.

Yea dude.

Just get one that hasn't been messed with at all. One that's been upkept relatively well. The 4.0L is a strong engine.

i had a cherokee for 6 years. best vehicle i ever owned. could not possibly kill the I6 or the 5sp tranny. went through 5 sets of U joints in 6 years :) the autos are pretty fragile though. The tow cap on the jeep is around 3000, but any trailer worth a damn is going to weigh in excess of 1000 pounds. so to tow your car you would be looking at 3500 pounds, maybe a little more. Thats pushing it a bit. especially since the cargo load on the jeep is only 500 or so pounds, so you would have to have a special car trailer with almost no tongue weight.

Probably much easier to just buy a c1500 or f150. you can get decent ones in the 2500-3000 range and they can easily handle a 5000 lbs car trailer setup. I bought my 95 ram 2500 for $800. its got a little rust, but looks excellent for what i paid.

i like my cherokee. has a lot of life for having 186K on it, and it pulls like a champ. u've used it to pull out a K5 blaxer, and an '03 silverado 1500. Both with little to no issue so you shouldn't have a problem at all using it to pull a 3000lb. car and trailer.

well, hatch, i think the problem isn't the engine - its the chassis. I know she could handle the pulling load, but the vehicle isn't set up for moving around that much weight. brakes, u joints, steering (with alot of tongue weight), and his car & trailer setup most certainly should approach 4000 total.

mine had 176k on it when i sold her and she still hauled ass. I once put 1800 lbs in the bed of the vehicle (there is a pic on here of it somewhere)....there is it:

DSCF0892.jpg

It took the load fine, but trying to control it was a bitch!

Like a mid to late 1990's Durango or 1500 Ram V8. I mean, people say they are terrible with transmissions and stuff, but I'm not hauling a huge car. I could see if I was hauling a 3800lb V8 domestic, but I would think a Civic with a dolly, possibly a full trailer, should be fine.

now you are talking....

look 'em up on craigslist, although this time of year is not the best for finding great deals on trucks. I have bought a few that are in good shape for even under 1k, and some nice stuff can be had for 3k

^ no joke.

hardest shifting bs i've ever experienced. i drove a 2500 ram today and it felt like the torque convertor was trying to stop the motor during every shift

better for an auto to shift hard than slip to beat all hell tho.

give it a few years, and 100,000 miles and it won't be doing much of that anymore....

EVERY dodge, or chrysler we have owned (4 or 5 now) has had the transmission go out. (all autos)

Sure it is. I used to drive our stake body paving truck with a 3 ton roller, and skid steer on a trailer behind, and it was manual. (gasoline to boot, not diesel) It got some really crapty mpg numbers tho.

It was a chevy btw.

better for an auto to shift hard than slip to beat all hell tho.

give it a few years, and 100,000 miles and it won't be doing much of that anymore....

EVERY dodge, or chrysler we have owned (4 or 5 now) has had the transmission go out. (all autos)

I have one to bust that...

I have a 95 Ram 2500 AT and it is a seriously abused farm truck. 191,000 miles on all original drivetrain. Only thing repaired has been brakes and suspension. Thing shifts perfect, every one, no slipping even with 2500 lbs of computers in the back - although that doesn't touch the full capacity it can handle.

Archived