H22 N/A Build - Please help!

Hi. I have an EG coupe with a JDM H22. I'm planning on doing an N/A build this winter. Right now, my motor is pretty much stock. I have LSD transmission, Stage 3 clutch kit from Clutch Master, B&M fuel pressure regulator, AEM fuel rail, AEM intake and Apexi World Sport exhaust. Here is what I had in mind for this build. I'm trying to keep this build simple but efficient. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

-TWM ITB

-Crower cams (which cams should I get??...Stage 1, 2, or 3?)

-Crower valvetrain

-H22 Type S pistons (I know you can get the oversize ones. Should I get those and bore, port & polish at the same time or should I just stick with the regular ones??)

-AEM EMS (for obvious reasons)

-H23 Crank??? (I heard that I should do this? Why? And what are my other options?)

-MSD Ignition

-SMSP headers

This car is daily driven. I would like to test it out at the track sometime. I understand that this kind of setup usually decreases driveability, but I'm willing to compensate. Please let me know if you would change, add something or whatever. Thanks.

With a few exceptions, this is not a very technical forum. You may have to take this to a more specialized venue than HF. Maybe we have some NA H22 builders in here that'll surface -- who knows?

Crower makes kick ass cams but with your build you may want to go with skunk2 pro series cams, or the crower stage 3's. If you want to use the type s pistons I would go with the oversized ones, get your block bored to 88mm and shove those in, I would run it with 12:5.1 compression. AEM EMS isn't always the best way to go when tuning simply becuase if you don't get a base map your tuner will have to set up EVERYTHING onto this ECU becuase unline Hondata that is chipped into an already exhisting honda ECU, EMS is its own program and when you receive it brand new it is completly blank.

• 4 weeks later...
Crower makes kick ass cams but with your build you may want to go with skunk2 pro series cams, or the crower stage 3's. If you want to use the type s pistons I would go with the oversized ones, get your block bored to 88mm and shove those in, I would run it with 12:5.1 compression. AEM EMS isn't always the best way to go when tuning simply becuase if you don't get a base map your tuner will have to set up EVERYTHING onto this ECU becuase unline Hondata that is chipped into an already exhisting honda ECU, EMS is its own program and when you receive it brand new it is completly blank.

chubs...... i would have to agree with you on everything but the aem ems. the reason being is that the only ones that come completely blank are the universal ems. but the vehicle/ engine specific ones came with base maps to get u started and there is no need for the adapter harnesses. simply unplug old ecu, take out old ecu, put in new aem ems, and plug it in! that simple! as for tuning it...... unless you know what you r doing take it to a professional to have it tuned!

IMO... AEM EMS is the way to go. but thats just me. everyone has there preferences.

Apexi World Sport exhaust

if you wanted a performance exhaust, look elsewhere. dont get this exhaust or any other chambered style muffler system if youre gonna be building it and pushing a lot of air. if you want it a little louder than stock then get it.

*edit* just noticed you had ITBs down for daily driver. like SolLes said, bad idea. ITBs are not very streetable, neither are stage 3 camshafts.

Why aren't the ITB's streetable?..... I don't think it matters....

from the TODA website:

Q) My car is completely stock, how much power will the TODA Individual Throttle Body kit (ITB) add?

A) Individual Throttle Bodies (ITB's) are designed for use on engines with extensive medications. They were never designed (or tested) on stock or mildly modified engines. This product should only be considered once you've added our camshafts, pistons, and other internal modifications. We have never tested our ITB's on stock engines as that is NOT their purpose, their purpose for use on extensively modified engines which require, and greatly benefit from a quad induction system.

the throttle bodies they use are 52mm and to use this effectively, large amount of power must be made and/or rev high rpms. because of this, there is practically no low end power gained from these. DD is almost all low and mid range power. to add insult to injury, they normally run around $2k.

52mm throttle bodes aren't streetable... because thats going to flow about the same as ONE 104mm throttle body.

lessen the throttle bodies to around 40-48mm and you'd be ok to run on the street. aircooled V-dubs have been doing it for years.... (carbs and not throttle bodies tho)(running 44's on my rail with no probelms what-so-ever)

some hi-po NA guys are running even 52mm tb's on the street on the same note too... they aren't making half the power as you honda boys, but prolly at least 2x the torque

Archived