h22 questions

chris_agu28

I am looking at getting a h22 for my del sol and i have a few questions.

btw i am getting a h22 cause i want to be different by not having a b16 or a b18 in it and i think the work is worth it.

1. So when i getting it all going what kind of gas would i have to use, i know the like the b16 i think uses plus unleaded, so i was wondering if there any kind of special gas would have to use.

2. Would i be able to use the same exhaust off the d15 on the h22?

3. What kind of hp would i be looking at with a basic aftermarket i/h/e?

4. If I order the h22 from hmotorsonline.com, would it have everything it that is on the list like for ex. start motor and stuff and does it always start up the first time like it says?

Sorry for all the questions i am just curious.

Thanks a lot.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H22 will be money and work but it'll be lots of torque for a little car like a sol, so it you really wanna do it and think it's worth it then deffo go for it.

1) Use whatever type of gas is required by whatever car that came stock in. You won't gain anything by using higher octane. People will debate that endlessly but they're wrong. Sorry.

2) As far as I know all exhausts for the del sol are the same regardless of what engine it has. I base this on the fact that Skunk2 only lists one exhaust for all models of del sol, B or D series. You will want a less restrictive exhaust for that powerful an engine than you stock D15B7, though. Also keep in mind that your cat is the most restrictive part of all, and often an ignored one.

3) If you get basic aftermarket I/H/E (ex: AEM/DC Sports/Tanabe) then expect maybe 7 - 12 extra hp over stock. This will be noticeable but not too significant in the great scheme of things. Will make it a lot more fun to drive, though. If you go all out (ex: AEM V2 or PWJDM/SMSP/Random Tech cat/Tanabe) you could gain twice that.

4) Hmotors is a reputable dealer. I have no experience with them but I would trust them at their word, and I'm sure they are fine to deal with in the event of a problem. An H swap into a sol will require extra work than an H22 swap into a vehicle that came standard with an H series engine, so chances are you'll still need to track down some stuff independently unless they say specifically that it is a complete swap into a del sol (prolly a civic would work too -- I don't know, I'm not a doctor).

Thanks for the quick reply and all the info. Looking at the swap, i found this website giving instrustions on putting in the h22 into a civic. would it be the same as the sol? i mean the car does have the same engine as mine but i was wondering if there were any differences?

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/03...swap/index.html

you should be able to fun ~6 psi on stock internals on a h22. most people i think dont opt for the h22 in smaller cars because of the weight of the motor. and torque isnt so much of on issue on lighter cars as on heavier ones.

is it that much of a weight difference. i thought it is like a 30-50 lb difference or is much more and i already know it affects the steering but will be become like undrivable. I also chose the h22 cause of more torque in the motor and it is something you don't normally mainly in a del sol. I just wanna be different :thumbsup:

Hondas are too common to do anything "different" but I see where you're coming from.

The del sol alread has 60% of its weight up front, so putting another 30-40 lbs in it won't help anything. If anything, get a good quality CF hood at the same time and throw a sub or two in the back and try to even things out a bit more. Also get an ASR subframe brace for the rear (a whole anti-sway kit would be nice too) and you should be better than stock with handling and weight distribution.

I glad you see how i am thinking...i mean a lot of people keep saying that the 30 pound make a huge difference but i would think it would be a small difference so yeah.

But yeah i am glad people on this forum know what they talking about and are very helpful :thumbsup:

One more question, if we to lower the compression what would be a good set of numbers and what kind of psi would i be running ex. 10 psi?

also where is a good place to find aftermarket parts for the h22 i normally shop like andys auto sport but are there any good honda sites.

sorry for all the questions i am new to honda and so far i am loving every min of it!

I don't know much about turbo setups except you're best off researching them a lot before you start working on them. Avoid kits from non-reputable retailers, and honestly it's best to piece it together yourself anyway. More power for less money, generally.

H22s have, as a whole, smaller aftermarkets than B series engines. Just search around on the internet for the best retailer for each individual piece.

Thanks So much John and everybody else. You have been a great help! :thumbsup:

Also as i said before i am a noob at hondas so that is why i asked so many questions.

on a car as light as yours, the weight would make a difference, mainly understeer characteristics. on a 94-97 Accord motor, the F22b1/b2, it's a ~50 lbs difference. and thats comparing two 2.2 liter motors. if you have a 1.6L, the difference is way more.

Do some research for the stock weights of both engines. I'm confident that, while there will be a difference, it can be overcome by subracting weight up front and adding weight to the back (ie battery relocations and CF parts etc.)

Btw, Velocifero, I love your car, man.

For an H22 you'll have to upgrade suspension, brakes, and get a new trans. The H trans suck.

Also, you'll need to lose AC, power steering, and get an alternator relocator.

thanks John, your 'sol is hot too. simple and clean :thumbsup: as for the h22 trans...the h22 tranny is the best tranny. dont even say he B series tranny is better because it's not. the gearing is setup perfect for the powerband of the high revving motor. that said, theres a bunch of different h22 trannies out there. some of the best of them have the Limited Slip Differential, which is what i have; m2b4.

thanks John, your 'sol is hot too. simple and clean :thumbsup: as for the h22 trans...the h22 tranny is the best tranny. dont even say he B series tranny is better because it's not. the gearing is setup perfect for the powerband of the high revving motor. that said, theres a bunch of different h22 trannies out there. some of the best of them have the Limited Slip Differential, which is what i have; m2b4.

Dude.

The H-tranny is crap. Period.

Dude.

The H-tranny is crap. Period.

Dude.

that evidence less statement is just so convincing... two people i know with a 230whp and 260whp h22, both use the h22 tranny. im sure they think it's crap, lol....

LOL @ NOT GOING MUCH HIGHER.

You ARE a member of Honda-Tech, aren't you?

I'm absolutely POSITIVE you would have read about a multitude of 300+whp platforms.

And let's not even go into boost breaking that crap.

LOL @ NOT GOING MUCH HIGHER.

You ARE a member of Honda-Tech, aren't you?

I'm absolutely POSITIVE you would have read about a multitude of 300+whp platforms.

And let's not even go into boost breaking that crap.

obviously im talking strictly NA here. booja had a nice 500+whp h22 and a guy on AccordinglyDone just posted a dyno of 612whp and about 445ftlbs on a h22 runnings 10s. i dare you to find someone making more NA power than 2point6. the dude has put over 30k into the motor alone...so ive been told.

lmao @ 30k into the motor.

What a waste.

Edit -- I should note. SOHC F-series setups have made more power than said H-series.

NA? turbo? post these setups, i would love to see them. unless you dont have evidence for that either.

Archived