Anyone do HVAC work?

dohc1991integra

Just wondering if u could point me it the right direction... Im looking to get in this line of work and just wanted to know wat education u went through or wat education u would suggest. ? im trying to get my EPA card and maybe start interning somewhere for a while but i was just looking for some advice? :blush: thanx

Run away. Run FAR, FAR away.

Uh.. it pays..depending on the area..what you know.. You'll probably start as an installer..there aren't what one would call "internships" .. You'll be put into the field unless you go to a trade school or something.. It'd be a better start. I got on my feet by doing installs. Made a couple of calls..ended up signing up with the union.. My payrates are wide.. North Florida offers about 19.50 an hour for my capabilities whereas the city of Tampa pays upward of 20..

I'm EPA certified..I can work on pretty much anything. I'm working at becoming a chiller mechanic.. Definite big bucks.

Just takes time to learn..

Uh. What are you looking to do..exactly? Service? Installs/ Chillers?

Uh. What are you looking to do..exactly? Service? Installs/ Chillers?

Im not going to be picky since i will just be starting..i really dont care. lol Any suggestions?

My friend is EPA certifies and hes doing refrigeration right now and i think im going to hit that place up tomarow so maybe he can get me started on something and his dad is in a high position in a hvac buisness that id like to move up to soon. idk...

i appreciate the help man...im working installing floors and crap now, and these 15 hours days are getting old.lol

Im not going to be picky since i will just be starting..i really dont care. lol Any suggestions?

My friend is EPA certifies and hes doing refrigeration right now and i think im going to hit that place up tomarow so maybe he can get me started on something and his dad is in a high position in a hvac buisness that id like to move up to soon. idk...

i appreciate the help man...im working installing floors and crap now, and these 15 hours days are getting old.lol

Oh don't think heating and air is any cakewalk..ESPECIALLY if you happen to work at a place that offers emergency service.

I'd try and get into something service oriented..it'd be easier on you..the only thing you'd have to worry about is the hours..

Just talk to your guy and see what can be done.

Oh don't think heating and air is any cakewalk..ESPECIALLY if you happen to work at a place that offers emergency service.

I'd try and get into something service oriented..it'd be easier on you..the only thing you'd have to worry about is the hours..

Just talk to your guy and see what can be done.

im not to worried about the hours...im working about 8 to 15 a day now.

i figured they cant get me a position now since i dont have any certification but i think its worth a shot...

are u just EPA certified? (not meaning to put u down).lol

EPA and NATE certified as far as tech goes..

I'm Trane/Bryant/Goodman-Amana/Carrier/York certified as far as units..although you'll find with basic heat pumps and straight-cool system's..they're practically the same. Control boards may be a bit different..reversing valve may energize in heat rather than cool or cool rather than heat on some.. refrigerant pressures will vary.. It depends.

I do a lot of low-temp crap too, unfortunately. Buncha 404/407/409/502 and all that godforsaken jibber jabber.

I wanna' go in for Lennox certification but our company doesn't sling the equipment so..

EPA and NATE certified as far as tech goes..

I'm Trane/Bryant/Goodman-Amana/Carrier/York certified as far as units..although you'll find with basic heat pumps and straight-cool system's..they're practically the same. Control boards may be a bit different..reversing valve may energize in heat rather than cool or cool rather than heat on some.. refrigerant pressures will vary.. It depends.

I do a lot of low-temp crap too, unfortunately. Buncha 404/407/409/502 and all that godforsaken jibber jabber.

I wanna' go in for Lennox certification but our company doesn't sling the equipment so..

well i hope all goes well for u man...and for ur sweet piece of machinery u call a WS6.lol :drool:

man i appreciate the help tho. ill proly keep this thread alive with plenty of questions lol.

...how educated do u have to get ur EPA? my buddy said he went into an 8 hour class knowing vertually nothing, took a bunch of notes and passed.lol

well i hope all goes well for u man...and for ur sweet piece of machinery u call a WS6.lol :drool:

man i appreciate the help tho. ill proly keep this thread alive with plenty of questions lol.

...how educated do u have to get ur EPA? my buddy said he went into an 8 hour class knowing vertually nothing, took a bunch of notes and passed.lol

EPA testing is really easy..I got mine through ESCO which is an open-book online test.. REALLY f*cking easy. When I say easy..I mean..Four tests..An hour and a half. Maybe 150 questions or so..but like I say..open book.

Dunno about other places..It's pretty easy to learn about the types of refrigerants and whatnot..I could have done it with no book but it wouldn't have been nearly as fast. Just depends on where you take the test.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Especially not in this trade. Can't afford to not ask.

EPA testing is really easy..I got mine through ESCO which is an open-book online test.. REALLY f*cking easy. When I say easy..I mean..Four tests..An hour and a half. Maybe 150 questions or so..but like I say..open book.

thats awesome im going to check that out. U cant beat open book test! lol :thumbsup:

wats the website name?

thats awesome im going to check that out. U cant beat open book test! lol :thumbsup:

wats the website name?

I dunno I'd have to ask the supply house where I took it.. they're registered with the licensing board so they'll know.

Archived