clutch problem

matryx

Hi, I got a 1996 GSR and my car is starting to act up. I'm not sure what is the problem but I think its probably the clutch.

When I start the car and try to be it into first or any gears it won't work. It just doesn't want to go in.

I turn it off and go through the gears fine. Start it up again and put it into first, when letting off the clutch the car shakes like its going to stall out while I'm giving gas still. While this is happening I try to put it in neutral but its difficult also.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is here. The problem is hard to describe. Since I can't drive it anywhere I won't be able to get it to a shop and why I come here first to get some opinions of the problem.

Hi, I got a 1996 GSR and my car is starting to act up. I'm not sure what is the problem but I think its probably the clutch.

When I start the car and try to be it into first or any gears it won't work. It just doesn't want to go in.

I turn it off and go through the gears fine. Start it up again and put it into first, when letting off the clutch the car shakes like its going to staff out while I'm giving gas still. While this is happening I try to put it in neutral but its difficult also.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is here. The problem is hard to describe. Since I can't drive it anywhere I won't be able to get it to a shop and why I come here first to get some opinions of the problem.

WHAT IS STAFF OUT? u mean choke out? check fluid first if that is good then its ur clutch most likely, u can drive it if u know how :) did it for a few weeks while i ripped a spring off my clutch disc

yeah I mean't stall out. Can't really drive it actually. I'll be restarting the engine at every stop and thats if I can even get it into gear. Time to look for a new clutch. What do you guys recommend for a daily drive gsr with basic bolts on

well I am planning later on to rebuild my engine and upgrade some parts so I'm thinking getting a better clutch would be a good idea so I don't have to worry about it later. Of course I haven't done enough research yet to know what kind of things I want to upgrade later on, but got some ideas of reading some engine rebuild posts.

aight man well do ur research its real simple to install a new clutch, just takes a big of manhandling without a lift lol, i had to crawl on the ground with my tranny on my chest then lift it into the car 3 times, damn those plastic alignment tools

• 2 weeks later...

i dont think your clutch itself is the issue. seems its not disengaging properly , check your slave and master cylinder for leaks and weeping. when a clutch gets bad , it slips. unless your pressure plate or disc crap the bed , meaning broke in some way. any noises at all? what sound change when stepping/letting off the clutch in neutral with car running?

i dont think your clutch itself is the issue. seems its not disengaging properly , check your slave and master cylinder for leaks and weeping. when a clutch gets bad , it slips. unless your pressure plate or disc crap the bed , meaning broke in some way. any noises at all? what sound change when stepping/letting off the clutch in neutral with car running?

Thats exactly what I was about to say Cranny!?! are you like standing next to me or something lol...

but yea anyway if its engaging while the car is off and not engaging while your car is on then most likely its the plate, but you would want to check your master and slave cylinders to make sure thats not f-ed, because its just the cylinders than thats an easy fix if you can do it yourself...if not its going to cost you a couple hundred to get it done.

Archived