mass and their stupid exhaust laws

leber008

mass just screwed me over and im from ct they are tellin me to change my exhaust, is there a performance exhaust that will give me a quiet sound or will a silencer work. I also have an idea to put on a used stock muffler for the day and put my exhaust back on, any ideas?

RS-R ExMag (boasts quietest exhaust note on the market for most applications)

Tanabe Hyper Medalion - about 92 db (if it's a noise issue, under 95 db is good)

Apex'i World Sport / WS2 and the Greddy SP2 have the same design as the Tanabe.

florida has the same law =( but i was referred to the apexi ws2 as a very very quiet one as long as you drive normal and that it purrs nice wen you punch it looks very clean and stock type look check ebay apexi one goes for around $380 the greddy 400+

florida has the same law =( but i was referred to the apexi ws2 as a very very quiet one as long as you drive normal and that it purrs nice wen you punch it looks very clean and stock type look check ebay apexi one goes for around $380 the greddy 400+
Actually Florida law states that any thin you do to you're car that is not stock is illegal. We don't have admissions any more but if a cop wanted to be a weiner he could right a ticket for every thing you have done to you're car. 9 out of 10 time they will not but there is always that one. See I live in St.Petersburg FL. and my cozen is a state trooper and a lot of my friends are cops as well. they keep me pritty up to date on all this stuff.

Actually Florida law states that any thin you do to you're car that is not stock is illegal. We don't have admissions any more but if a cop wanted to be a weiner he could right a ticket for every thing you have done to you're car. 9 out of 10 time they will not but there is always that one. See I live in St.Petersburg FL. and my cozen is a state trooper and a lot of my friends are cops as well. they keep me pritty up to date on all this stuff.

well the makers of 2fast 2furious owe florida some big money then

FHP is a buncha' douchebags. They haven't become too familiar with my Pontiac but they knew my EJ6 all too well.

I'm sure I could find loopholes in the "law", Batman. I don't think that's entirely accurate. My girlfriend works for a lawyers office in Tampa..she's EXTREMELY well versed in Florida law. I'll ask her.

Edited by busted ls1

Ya theres alway a loop hole but it's just the fact we do have some REALLY odd laws. like the one that says you can screw animals but if a man and woman that are not married and live in the same house and have sex they are guilty of a second-degree misdemeanor

Edited by Batman

I wasn't ticketed for my Toda header, my catback, any part of my suspension (which was green and you could see it well) or intake.

He did however pound my ass over my window tint and a couple other doodads.

ill find you the law but its for the exhaust pipe being to loud causing a disturbance or something like that ill repost ina few let me find out more info on it

ya if a cop wants to be a weiner he will pull you over ive been pulled over 1 time given a fix it ticket and i was on my way most the time i dont get pulled over because i take it slow but everyone almost in orlando florida went ot discount autoparts bought that cheap stock exhaust pipe in exchange for there old loud ones... i duno not that serious but it isnt legal in florida to have the loud noise anymore

Edited by ILoveJDM

The 2007 Florida Statutes

600x3_gradient.gif

Title XXIII

MOTOR VEHICLESChapter 316

STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROLView Entire Chapter

316.293 Motor vehicle noise.--

(1) DEFINITIONS.--The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for the A-weighted sound level and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

(b) "Gross combination weight rating" or "GCWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

© "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(d) "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

(e) "Department" means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

(2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).

(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles: Sound level limit Speed limit

35 mph or lessSpeed limit

over 35 mphBefore January 1, 197982 dB A86 dB A On or after January 1, 197978 dB A82 dB A

(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more: Sound level limit Speed limit

over 35 mph On or after January 1, 197586 dB A90 dB A

© For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b): Sound level limitSpeed limit

over 35 mph Before January 1, 197976 dB A82 dB A On or after January 1, 197972 dB A79 dB A

(3) MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES.--The measurement procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.415(9), in cooperation with the department. Such regulations shall include the selection of measurement sites and measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

(4) APPLICABILITY.--This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this chapter relating to motor vehicle mufflers for noise control.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

(6) EXEMPT VEHICLES.--The following are exempt from the operation of this act:

(a) Emergency vehicles operating as specified in s. 316.072(5)(a).

(b) Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event.

© Any motor vehicle engaged in a manufacturer's engineering, design, or equipment test.

(d) Construction or agricultural equipment either on a job site or traveling on the highways. (7) VIOLATIONS.--A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. History.--s. 4, ch. 74-110; s. 32, ch. 76-31; s. 2, ch. 78-280; s. 28, ch. 79-65; s. 136, ch. 94-356; s. 16, ch. 97-300; s. 205, ch. 99-248.

Edited by ILoveJDM

The 2007 Florida Statutes

600x3_gradient.gif

Title XXIII

MOTOR VEHICLESChapter 316

STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROLView Entire Chapter

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(11) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318. History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 72-39; s. 1, ch. 73-89; s. 27, ch. 79-65; s. 135, ch. 94-356; s. 204, ch. 99-248; s. 30, ch. 2006-1.

ya i wouldnt doubt it but i duno like someone said in this post i guess its all on how much of an butthead the officer is! but ya i duno dont matter im change my pipe ina few days to avoid the problem

you know ever since fast and furious + all these kids racing in orlando im sure its more of a import thing i bet most cops own muscle cars themselves and wont mess with ya i duno w.e its all good <3

Edited by ILoveJDM

• 2 weeks later...