still overheating

moody95

my b16 has been overheating. I changed the thermostat and it stayed at the right temp for about 250miles and I had been checking the fluid level in the overflow tank and it stayed the same. Then I was driving and it started to get hot and I checked the fluid and it was gone. It seems to be overflowing out of the overflow tank becaust I can see where it is spraying. At least thats what it looks like. Would this be possible or is my headgasket probably blown.

If your not blowing white smoke out of your exhaust your okay. Check all of your hoses and make sure they are all in good shape.

I had my friend rev it up and there is like a very little puff of white smoke when he let of the gas. I cant seem to find a leak in the system. if its leaking it must be doing it when it is running.

could very well be a clog in your radiator... They break free from time to time and travel up stream only to get stuck again.. Usually the clogs stay in the radiator so a new radiator might be the ticket... that could very well explain any rapid change in coolant levels.. I.E. clogs forcing to overflow then breaks loose causing overflow to suck back through...

Did it overheat repeatedly or just once or twice. I found with my own overheating work that if you do not get the cooling system 100% bled out that the air bubbles in the system can cause you to overheat, which can be why your system shows low on coolant as it was just self bleeding and now you needed to top it back off.

If you are having problems finding if there is a leak you can lay down a white sheet or a large sheet of cardboard and park over it. It will show you nice and clearly when any leaks are ending up, so you can trace it back up into the car and find if it is a cracked hose, or your WP, or if its coming from the corner of the HG or whatever.

Did it overheat repeatedly or just once or twice. I found with my own overheating work that if you do not get the cooling system 100% bled out that the air bubbles in the system can cause you to overheat, which can be why your system shows low on coolant as it was just self bleeding and now you needed to top it back off.

If you are having problems finding if there is a leak you can lay down a white sheet or a large sheet of cardboard and park over it. It will show you nice and clearly when any leaks are ending up, so you can trace it back up into the car and find if it is a cracked hose, or your WP, or if its coming from the corner of the HG or whatever.

X has the right idea... I would start with the leak trace then move right to a preassure bleed of the whole system...

I drained and refilled the system yesterday then drove about 130 miles and it was just about empty. This morning I filed it again, but this time I bleed it using the bleeder on the thermostat housing. I had not been doing this before. I'v been driving it today and it is not bubling out of the overflow tank and seems to be staying at a consistant level. Hopfully my problum was that I wasn't getting all of the air out. I'll see how it works.

Archived