Check engine light on D16z6

Im thinking its something simple as a O2 sensor or something like that, but it doesnt come on right when i start the car, i drive it for about 3-5 min it comes on, but if i turn the car off and start it again it stays off for the rest of the trip to work which is like 15 more min, sometimes it doesnt come on at all, any idea's of what it could be?

well i was lookin around under the hood it might just be a screwed up wire on the MAP sensor, the previous owner put some air/fuel mixture gauge on the car and just cut the wire and twisted them together, and put some electricle tape on it, ill fix that and sodder them tonight, but any idea's are welcome

well i check this site out

http://technet.ff-squad.com/how-to/celcheck/

I did what this thing said to, besides the check engine light wasnt on when i started bc i couldnt get it to come on by driving it, but it had 4 long flash's and 3 short ones meaning 43 and from what this thing said it was fuel supply, so that mean my pump is having issues or something else?

well i see no one has a idea here but from what i read on HT and another site that the O2 sensor is bad bc it only does it when the motor is cold and the sensor is cold but once it heats up and i restart the car it stays off, but its only a $80 fix so not to bad

well if ur getting the o2 sensor code urs probley isnt wired in right, im not getting the O2 code, im getting fuel supply code, and from what i read at 2 places its the o2 sensor, 129k on this one i think its right

hmmm now that i think about it this whole CEL thing started when i replaced a blown fuse, it was the backup fuse under the hood, and i replaced it with a 10amp one instead of a 7.5, so im gunna grab one tonight and maybe thats the problem, idk its annoying

well that wasnt it, i changed it to the 7.5 amp one and pulled the ecu fuse for about 5 min, didnt come on at all on the way to work or on my lunch break but came on this morning driving home from work, so im at a loss, im gunna check the voltages on the o2 sensor and probley change the fuel filter and see if that clears it up

well i think i got the damn problem, it was nothing wrong with my car.. stupid ass guy i bought the car from had the power wire for the amps in my trunk just dangling there, and it was arching out on the chassis of the car, must have been causing a feed back to the fuel pump or something but drove it for about 60 miles after i fix that and reset the ecu and still hasnt came on so hopefully that was it

Did you ever replace the O2 sensor? Sounds like your just beating around the bush and playing with things that don't throw codes, like your fuel filter.

Im not getting a o2 sensor code... its a fuel supply code for the first thing, just changed the filter this morning and reset the ecu and no codes are being thrown right now, drove about 100 miles today, see if it stays off i just saved myself $80 for a o2 sensor, when a fuel filter is only $25 and it needed to be changed anyways, and if the CEL comes on again ill change the o2 sensor, but its not beating around the bush its called being smart. why jump in and do the o2 sensor when that might not even be it..

well ya i think i figured this damn thing out.... went to put my new o2 sensor in and guess what i see after i take that stupid ass heat shield off, a long ass crack down the middle of my exhaust manafold...

mine is doing the same damn thing exactly!!

did the fuel filter solve it? Or did you need the new o2 sensor?

oh btw... my exhaust mani has a f**king crack in it too!

EDIT: so wait... are you saying that you think its the crack?

im pretty sure its the crack in the exhaust manifold, so i have to order one or something, $108 for new yet the junk yard wanted $125 lol, so im sure its the crack in that so im going to replace the manifold b4 i change that o2 sensor.

Changed my 02 sensor last night with one I had laying around, and took it for a ride last night, and so far everything seems to be good, and the check engine light doesn't come on anymore.

EDIT: I got the accord over the summer. I just couldn't put 85 miles a day on the beetle, so I got a 90 accord for $500. Plus it gets better gas mileage than the bug lol.

Archived