does anyone understand this?

airjordan223

i have a test tomorrow and this is one of the terms we have to know, but i have no idea what its saying, or what its trying to say in the first part

Social construction theory suggests that we see understand to be ‘real’ is the result of human interaction in history and how people ‘make’ beliefs, categories, practices and institutions.

sounds like part of the existentialism theory.

Existentialism- Wikipedia

not the most reliable source, but i think its one of the easiest ways to read about it.

i remember learning about social construction theory in philosophy last year... but i dont remember anything really about it. heh. i was usually too hungover/still drunk when i walked into class to pay attention (thats what happens when the pub offers £1/shot night the day before 1st period classes!)

To me it sounds like it is describing how humans view things.

Like, social construction, how people "make" beliefs, categories, practices and institutions, means that humans create those things. They are not physical objects, we just make them up to help us understand situations and whatnot better.

To me it sounds like it is describing how humans view things.

Like, social construction, how people "make" beliefs, categories, practices and institutions, means that humans create those things. They are not physical objects, we just make them up to help us understand situations and whatnot better.

This sounds right. A social construct is basically what we perceive as normal is not so much influenced by nature, but more by social interaction within a culture. For instance, our knowledge is based upon what others are telling us and we accept it to be fact.

Geez, it's been a while since I've been in a SOCI class...but I guess I earned a PSYC degree for something, right?

This sounds right. A social construct is basically what we perceive as normal is not so much influenced by nature, but more by social interaction within a culture. For instance, our knowledge is based upon what others are telling us and we accept it to be fact.

Geez, it's been a while since I've been in a SOCI class...but I guess I earned a PSYC degree for something, right?

you got a psyc degree?? so do i!! *high 5* however, that BS (literally) degree is a piece of crap. I can't find a job and now going to school for nursing.

you got a psyc degree?? so do i!! *high 5* however, that BS (literally) degree is a piece of crap. I can't find a job and now going to school for nursing.

Hahaha...yah BS is totally what it is. Should've went on to a Masters or PhD, cause that's where it pays off they say. *sigh*

Archived