Is this a Black Widow?

CleanGSR

I was outside working on the front door and getting ready to paint the trim........looked down and about 18 inches from where I was working.....this sucker was just sitting on the door sil. Is this a Black Widow?

I'm extremely freaked of spiders and am completely freakin' out now. It has the right colors/locations, but it's not an hour glass on it's back as you can see. Plus it was out in the open in the middle of the day. I thought BW's liked cool dark places.

IMG_1334.jpg

that is a black widow spider. it has the markings on the top of the abdomen because it isnt mature yet. As the spider matures, the top markings will disappear and the hourglass will form underneath. good thing you squashed it, very bad mojo with kids around.

rofl.

i hate spiders so bad.

whenever i'm using an oxyacetylene torch at work in grassy areas, i pretty much roast the ground..

and the bushes..and any spiderwebs/spiders i may see..it's fun to watch them shrivel.

i've come to the conclusion i'll die by spiderbite for my cruelty toward them LOL.

No sh*t.

I don't f*ck around with them. I ran into a banana spiders web and had the big f*cker on my shoulder. It was comparable in size to the top of a 32oz McDonalds sweet tea cup.

I say that because when I flung his ass off my shoulder, I stuck that particular cup on top of it, got a can of spray adhesive and sprayed the cup. Then lit it ablaze.

Edited by busted ls1

That doesnt look like one. Even the immature ones have the hourglass on them. They are all over around here. I have killed 3 working on Koffee's integra, 1 big one and two smaller ones. I would rather kill it than have it bite me, They make you sore for days.

Okay...found out that I think it is a Red Back Spider which is the same family as a black widow. Sadly they are more dangerous it seems than a black widow. Here's the interesting part........they are native to Australia and my 30 minutes of internet searching has found nothing on them being found in the US.....let along Missouri.

Here's a picture of the Redback Spider

Redback_back_view.jpg

If anybody can find anything on the net about these being found in the states, please post a link for me.

spider_hl.jpg

Watch out, it's going to eat you!

Its just a spider, kill it, squish it, burn it, move it, leave it or whatever. Funny some of you arachnophobs got so worked up about it.

Science says, the most logical answer is usually the correct one. Although it might look like some crazy spider from Aus., it is most likely as Mr.Bolander says: Immature BW.

The only problem with the immature BW theory is that, as juveniles, they are all a cream or brown color. Called my dad, who is a biologist, sent him the pic and he said that in all his years he's never seen a BW with those markings on it's BACK.

Nate's find is apparently the only explanation that I can find. And I've been looking for a while. It's not uncommon for exotic fauna(animals) to end up in the states. There's all kinda of foreign stuff here, so this really doesn't surprise me.

Same here. Black Widow, Brown Recluse and especially Redback Spiders are extremely painful and long lasting with horrible effects for each type. The poison/bite is what freaks me out.

Kind of like.....I'm not scared of a bull because it will eat me.....I'm scared of the large horn in my ass.