Engine choices

freakshow10mm

Thanks again for putting up with me. I'm new to all the engines and stuff. Definately not a mechanic but willing to learn some stuff.

Anyways, found some links when searching for engines. One cool site is enginereplacement.com. Has charts and specs and "will fit" charts. Neat site.

The ZC engine will, according to the site, bold in my base model 90 CRX with the D15B2 with L3 (pretty sure that is the 5spd trans code) with no mods to the car, using the stock components.

Modifications for swapping the B16, B18, H22, or ZC:
  • 88-91 Civic/CRX will require a motor mount kit. This kit requires no welding and since it is adapted to your current mounts it is easy to put back to stock if you wanted to.
  • You need to get axles from a 90-93 Integra (if your 88-91 CIVIC/CRX is the DX model you will need a 90-91 Si wiring harness, or modify your harness to run four injectors. Shift linkage is also required.)
  • ZC will bolt straight into the 88-91 Civic/CRX (The Si model needs no additional parts on any other non Si models you need a wire harness, and Si axles)

Bullets one and three are contradictory in that the first says I need a motor mount kit but the second said it will bolt straight to a 88-91 CRX; since I have a DX base model I will need an Si wiring harness and Si axles. Link to full page is below.

Link here

Involved in swap

At the link above, the ZC engine will swap into my CRX at "Level 1" which is "The engine bolts in using stock Honda or Acura components, with no modifications to the car. " [first line in chart]. This contridicts the first bullet posted from the site above, which states I need a mount kit.

ZC DOHC swap in CRX info

Reference the chart in the above link for the following.

Ok, so like I said I have a DX civic with the L3 transmission. Based on this chart, to install a ZC engine I need:

Honda Civic motor mounts. I take that to mean non-CRX mounts. Confirm?

PM6, PM7, or PG7 ECU.

According to the "Axles" part, I can use my stock L3 transmission with no need to different axles. If I were to use a different transmission, I would need new knuckles and axles. Confirm?

I think the "Electrical for EFI" doesn't apply as I have the DX which is Dual Point Injection, so what does "therefore take the wiring for the other two injectors and cylinder sensor" mean?

CRX ZC swap parts needed chart

So looks like I have all of this since I already have a CRX. The thermostat is redundant so I could use the stock one. So all I need that is already on my CRX is the ECU (as mentioned above), oil filter, throttle body and TPS (what does that stand for- throttle pressure sensor??).

So those that have done a ZC swap into a base CRX (DX) with L3 trans, can you help me out?

B16B is an OBD2 motor with a hydraulic tranny. His car is OBD0, DPFI, with a cable transmission.

Too much work to make it worth it IMO.

Go with a 1st generation B16. Just get the whole swap and then all you will need is the Si wiring harness, mounts, and axles. Then your good for under $3000. With alot more power than the ZC.

Go with a 1st generation B16. Just get the whole swap and then all you will need is the Si wiring harness, mounts, and axles. Then your good for under $3000. With alot more power than the ZC.

So the 1Gen B16 is the B16A1 from a 90-91 Civic/CRX

Si-R EF-8/9? Engine listed as "ZC/B16A1 with 160hp/108tq"? The whole swap includes transmission? Like This One HERE

I was hoping to be able to use my current L3 trans as it has a stage 1 clutch and lighter flywheel in it already. My dad was going to soup it up but gave it to me instead and is getting something else.

I want to get an engine hoist first before I get the engine so I can work on it and get easy access to it for upgrading while it is out of the car and then install it when I get ready to do so.

Your current tranny has horrible gearing. It's just too long. If you swap in a B16 you get power and then the gearing to make it go faster, quicker. Flywheels and clutches are cheap compared to the work needed to swap in like a D16Z6, that things a bitch, I have personal experience.

Just upgrade to a better more buildable platform and you'll be much happier I promise.

So the 1Gen B16 is the B16A1 from a 90-91 Civic/CRX

Si-R EF-8/9? Engine listed as "ZC/B16A1 with 160hp/108tq"? The whole swap includes transmission? Like This One HERE

I was hoping to be able to use my current L3 trans as it has a stage 1 clutch and lighter flywheel in it already. My dad was going to soup it up but gave it to me instead and is getting something else.

I want to get an engine hoist first before I get the engine so I can work on it and get easy access to it for upgrading while it is out of the car and then install it when I get ready to do so.

There's no such thing as a B16A1. The Japanese B16's don't have numbers after them like USDM engines do. Therefore, it's a first generation B16, or an SiRI as is used to describe it.

The ZC is a completely different engine from the B16A, so I have no idea where you're getting "Engine listed as "ZC/B16A1 with 160hp/108tq"?" However, the B16A is the engine from the 2nd generation CRX SiR, and the 4th generation Civic SiR. (88-91). The ZC came in what is the Japanese Si model.

If you'd read the page you linked to, you'd see that the complete swap includes a trans. In which case, after you remove your current one, your dad can make soup in it a lot easier.

Actually Ash, the B16A1 is the one exception to the "number after the letter" rule with JDM engines. It is the only JDM engine (to my knowledge) to have a number after the letter.

http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=949

Going to have to disagree there. The block is simply stamped B16A. There's proof of that in my garage. :p

Well, I'm not going to disagree with you on this one. I'm just going off what I"ve seen everywhere on the net. My knowledge of the CRX's and their engine's is no where near yours so......

(^^ not being sarcastic either)

lol, yeah online a lot of people call it the A1. a little thing that drives me crazy, lol, but it is all over the place. what can i say, i spent a lot of time researching the 2nd gen crx lol.

The ZC is a completely different engine from the B16A, so I have no idea where you're getting "Engine listed as "ZC/B16A1 with 160hp/108tq"?"

Seventh listing from the top: LINK

If you'd read the page you linked to, you'd see that the complete swap includes a trans.

Yup. Don't know if I can save up that much or if I should just get the engine and trans separate and then soup them both up before I actually swap the engine. Would be nice to have both at once.

So I should be looking for a complete swap deal with B16 engine and transmission? Outstanding. Thanks guys.

Seventh listing from the top: LINK

Yup. Don't know if I can save up that much or if I should just get the engine and trans separate and then soup them both up before I actually swap the engine. Would be nice to have both at once.

So I should be looking for a complete swap deal with B16 engine and transmission? Outstanding. Thanks guys.

$1500 is cheap for a complete swap. That's what mine had cost as well, it's really standard going rate on the first gen SiR swap, but compared to other B-series (and higher) swaps, it's cheap. Save up and buy the whole thing at once, or you may just end up paying more if you buy the long block and trans separate (plus having to buy the "odds and ends" on top of it). It's not like you could just put the long block in right away anyway, so put the money in the bank until you have enough. Until then, just keep reading up and researching what you'll need for the swap and on the DPFI to MPFI conversion which you'll need to do.

lol @ that link, I hope it was just a typo that they didn't fix lol.

• 8 years later...

Archived