Cam and Valvetrain work

Is it pointless to do in an automatic w/ a D16Y8?

Should I hold off for the time being?

Someday I plan on really tuning my Civic. Which might mean i'd convert it to manual later as well as add a turbocharger.

Metaphorically speaking: All modifications to a stock car are technically pointless.

Its just a tranny. If you want the AT keep it. If you want the MT then buy another car or swap it. This is more of a personal preference then anything to do with performance modifications. You need to make that call and not have other people make the decision for you.

For what it is worth. MT all the way. I won't buy a car that has an AT. Ever.

For what its worth I agree with you and understand SSR. What I was getting at was that if he likes the AT to just stick with it. Whether he gets an extra few HP out of a better transmission is irrelevant if he doesn't want to drive a MT. That and the transmissions are important, but it is something you can switch out and do at any stage of the engine build-up without having to really wait for any other stages of the build to be complete: It is not dependent on other facets of the engine to be completed in a specific order and he can change it at his leisure.

i dont agree with him at all. you dont get more power out of a transmission , you alllow your engine to run its power band longer overall through the gears. get a manual car dude , your beating your head against a wall converting it.

I'm not talking about gaining power by converting. I'm talking about gaining power by doing something to the trans itself. There are two ways to do it. And you don't even have to convert to straight cut.

Archived