coolant control valve for heater

4boltmain

Hello. New to this forum! I have a 1996 EX with the four cyl, automatic, and little else. I am perplexed regarding a malfunction with the control valve that sends (or bypasses) coolant to the heater core. Turning the rotary temp control on the dash does nothing (the valve just in front of the firewall with the wire actuator doesn't move. I can manually move the valve by hand with little resistance, both with the actuating wire attached as well as it removed. Being July in Chicago, I obviously have it on bypass.

In the past I was able to come across factory repair manuals (have a two volume set for my Camry) but have not been able to find a reasonably priced set for my Accord. So I am not sure what to start first, i.e. pull the dash apart looking for a break or separation in the actuating linkage between the temp dial on the dash, or working from under the hood first. Again, with the actuating cable disconected, the control valve moves freely, ruling out a blockage (I assume).

Coolant has been flushed recently. Car has been maintained on a regular basis and all systems work well. It spent eight years in Arizona before coming to Chicago two years ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice on where to start on this. Also would be interested in any leads to secure factory repair manuals for my vehicle.

Thanks again!

Archived