Plugs...?

As I stated in another thread, I know a lot about cars, but there are some things I never learned. I either didn't learn, because I had no interest or no reason. I usually learn the new things when I come across the need to do it to my car. Anyways, I am interested in getting some better spark plugs. I never needed to upgrade spark plugs, until now; I hear when you get to a certain compression level, high, it is a good idea to upgrade your plugs. Anyways, I was browsing through the inventory at work and saw that the most expensive plugs for my motor is the NGK double platinum or NGK iridium platinum plugs. I believe neither of them are supposed to be gapped, atleast the iridium platinums say that they are unadjustable. Anyways, I was wondering if either of these plugs were decent and worth the $10 a piece price tag. The double platinum plugs are gapped to 0.052" and the iridium platinum plug is gapped at a 0.044" gap, stock gap is 0.052".

I have NGK Iridium plugs in my 96 civic and they seem to make my engine run a lot smoother and not to mention cleaner than my other plugs.......the .044 gap is still within the accepted gap range......

Yeah....they went right from the box and into my engine........but as for forced induction......i'm not really sure.

lol. NICE eg9. lol. I put some NGK plugs in my civic when it was running, ran great, i was satisified.

Plugs are the easiest change you will ever do. just take em out, put the new ones in, and you're good to go.

I think it's platinums in general that you don't gap. Plus they last longer. Iridiums are for performance, but if you can get platinum iridiums then why not?

I had platinums before on my last sol and yeah, they came in the box with an acceptable gap so I just threw them in.

Stay away from Boschs. I had their platinums and they sucked. Felt like I lost response over my old-ass NGKs.

I will second that. Complete failure in less than three months. Filament was completely blown away.

Bosch plat 4=junk

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to run plugs for performance then just get a set of NGK copper plugs. All the platinum/irridium/adamantium plugs are good for long service life but not so great for high performance/power adder engines. Irridium plugs are at best a compromise between performance and longevity but if you plan on running a higher output ignition system (MSD, etc.) then you are doing yourself no favors by running them (and paying a lot more to boot). Plus that tiny electrode that irridums use makes the spark more susceptable to spark blowout unless you close the gap down which in turn defeats the purpose of using them. I spent almost $60 on a set of NGK irridiums (TR55IX's) that proved to be worthless compared to the $2/plug copper plugs I swapped them out for.

Archived