clutch, slave cylinde, or mainshaft bearings?

lugrench

so i just got a 97 LS for what i thought was pretty cheap, inteding on turning it for some quick money. after driving it a bit I noticed there's a problem with the clutch (i know i should've checked this before stroking a check). i've searched this site for a while and have found some good advise but would still like someones opinion. so when i first start the car it seems to shift fine, a little stiff but not too bad. as i slow down and downshift, especially going down hill, it acts like the cluth isn't even working, it's hard to get out of gear and near impossible to get into a lower gear. when the car slows to like 10mph i can shove it into 2nd, but when i let the clutch out i get i weird bearing grinding noise that stops when i let the clutch all the way out. If I let the car come to a stop it goes back to normal. It's also hard to shift when I'm really hammering on it, it grinds every shift, but seems worse than a synchro grind, again it's like the clutch isn't even working.

so i would tend to think it's not the mainshaft bearings because there's a noise related to clutch engagement, but i would tend to think it's not the clutch because when it is working during regular easy driving, it's fine, no slipping, chattering ect. i also wouldn't think the slave or master because of the grinding bearing noise related to the clutch. My gut tells me it's the clutch but I would just hate to tear the tranny out to find out it's something simpler. sorry for the long read, just trying to give an accurate desripion.

Thanks a lot

Mike

sounds like a throw bearing to me. if it makes bearing grinding noise when clutch is IN its throwbearing , if it makes it when clutch is OUT , its mainshaft bearings. throwbearing would fix all those symptoms most likely.

sounds like a throw bearing to me. if it makes bearing grinding noise when clutch is IN its throwbearing , if it makes it when clutch is OUT , its mainshaft bearings. throwbearing would fix all those symptoms most likely.

thanks for the input. i drove it again and noticed that while coasting at 40 mph with the clutch in there is no noise in neutral but as soon as I put in any gear there's a bearing noise even before letting the clutch out at all. the noise gets a little worse while letting the clutch out then goes away. does this confirm the throw out bearing theory?? if so, seeing as i'm just selling the car and the clutch grips fine would you suggest changing just the bearing itself? sorry, one more question, i don't have a lift so i'm not sure about tackleing this myself. what do you think i should expect to pay to have it done? thanks again!!

Yeah does it feel like your clutch has no pressure behind it? b/c if its kinda like really lose and u push it down all the way and hardly get the clutch at all then its probably a slave cylinder b/c i got a 95 ls and i just had to replace it idk what to tell u but if it feels like there isnt really any clutch engaging even when u have it to the firewall then it could be the slave cylinder.

Yeah does it feel like your clutch has no pressure behind it? b/c if its kinda like really lose and u push it down all the way and hardly get the clutch at all then its probably a slave cylinder b/c i got a 95 ls and i just had to replace it idk what to tell u but if it feels like there isnt really any clutch engaging even when u have it to the firewall then it could be the slave cylinder.

yeah, that's just what it feels like but not all the time, mostly just when downshifting. did yours make any noises? thanks

I don't remember if it made noise it was a few months ago but the one noise i remember it making was just the gears grinding a little bit b/c the clutch wasnt engaging. and when i first started it up and when i had to start from a dead stop it was really hard to get it into gear i had to kinda slam it. i dont remember what it was like downshiftin really but if i had to guess i would say it was hard b/c whenever i started to slow the harder it was to crap gears. hope that helps.

Well I had to replace my master and slave cylinder about 2 years ago because it didnt go into gear easily...you literally had to punch it into gear, but seems like the throw bearing

well 4 hours later the clutch is out and the problem was that a spring/retainer in the pressure plate was broke. i'd post a pic if someone would tell me how to on here. Thanks for all the help!!

Archived