burning oil

Ok so heres the deal I go through about a quart of oil every week and a half or about every 500-750 miles. There is no water when i pull the dipstick so I dont belive its a head gasket. I think its the piston rings. I have a D15 with a intake and 4-2-1 header, high flow cat, and 2.5 pipeing. I have heard that a high flow cat makes this problem worse but I dont belive its the only source of the problem... When I hit about 5500ish RPM I really start to see major blue smoke from the exhaust. All help and responces are greatly appercieated. Also where I can find the new parts is also appercieated. Thanks

valve guides, bent valve, bad rings. it could be alot of things, however it's not because the high flow cat. the cat has nothing to do with it.

in my z6 before i broke a valve i was blowing a lot of blue smoke around 5500, wasnt sure what it was, at first the smoke was white when my CEL first came on, so i pulled over, put it at like 3 grand a few times, and white smoke came out, cracked head gasket i was thinking, then, no white smoke after that, only blue, and it was only after the vehicle had time to idle that made it the worst. it smoked mostly around 5500, but ran GREAT. Doesnt matter so much now because im buying a swap, but, any ideas as to what it could be? (whatever it was caused my CEL to come on)

Blue smoke is an indication of a particular symptom, but I forget what it is. Try searching around -- I'm sure you'll find the answer.

And, for the record, not "every honda" burns oil. My last del sol (Kegger's current del sol) has 206k on it and wasn't burning any when I last had it a few months ago.

And, for the record, not "every honda" burns oil. My last del sol (Kegger's current del sol) has 206k on it and wasn't burning any when I last had it a few months ago.

Agreed, the 5 hondas I have owned have never burned any oil at all. One has 202k and the other had 175k on them and not a drop of oil lost by leak or burn.

Hay come on now, I change my oil every 2600-2900 i just castrol high mileage. I've only had the car for about 13,000 miles and i has never been out of commission for more then a day. something breaks i fix it in < 24 hours. The only problem I had that hasn't been fixed is this stupid oil problem and thats cuz i wana do a swap. I was just wondering what the fix would be becuase if its cheap theres no reason not to....

Blue smoke= Burning oil (worn rings/valve seals)

Grey/white smoke= Burning coolant (head gasket)

Black smoke= Too much fuel (running rich)

--from Kastigir hisself in this thread:

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24073&hl=

You'll prolly have to do a rebuild on it to fix it, so I agree that it wouldn't be worth it to fix since you're just gonna swap it. Till then, just don't take it into high rpms and you're good.

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but Would having a bad seal in my Distributor cap cause my car to burn a little bit of oil? Or nah?

random NOT need to know info but i thought i would contribute.... 6 honda engines i have personal experience with and same, not a drop or a bit of burning, and we are lookin at 136K d series, 100K b20, 40K b18c turboed, 120K b16, 2002K f something accord engine and a b17 with like 80K... no probs... i think you have bad experiences.

just my 2 cents

• 5 months later...

My 98 Odyssey (2.3L 4cyl) started burning oil lately - about 1 qt every 1000 miles. It has 110 Kmiles, well maintained (synthetic oil every 5,000) stock engine (who would hot-rod a minivan anyway?) It also seems like the gas mileage has gotten worse. No external signs of leaks. Compression was excellent last summer. Valve seals???

Archived