Happy Birthday, seb.james!

TS John

Most of what I think I know about the UK comes from my sister who went to school there 3 years ago on student exchange and our best friends; a couple and she grew up there and moved to the US when she was 18. She commented that most public restrooms were pay toilets and that they had the oldest TV's you could imagine, black and white, because you paid less tax on them. Her info would be about 25 years old now, so I am sure a lot has changed.

The UK is a collection of 5-6 different recognized territories (not including any outlying colonies). Is it not?

Id love to go and visit for a bit sometime. Our friends' family comes here to visit all the time. That crew is a riot. If I didn't listen to anyone else I would surely think that the only thing you guys do there is drink.

Last time they came they rode out to my place. Our friends live in the city, but we live 30 miles out into the country. Between the city and my place it is nothing except flat farmland as far as you can see with only the occasional house. That 30 mile drive you probably only pass 20 houses and they were in complete shock. Couple that with the astonishment of how large my house was and what I paid for it and they needed a drink...

Vast is an appropriate word. Many areas are heavily populated, especially on the east coast. But move further west and with the exception a few larger cities you can literally drive for hours on some roads without ever seeing a house, much less a town.

Our friends told us what they paid for their tiny townhome. We figured the exchange rate and for the same price here they could buy a palatial estate.

hrmm, if you drove at or around the speed limit and only sat in the seat for 10 hours a day it should take you 4-5 days depending on traffic and if you stopped to eat or just grabbed fast food. Its 2800 miles from NY to LA. If you had a co pilot and didn't care you might be able to do it in two days, but it would take you a week to recover from the drive. More reasonable would be to spend 10 days and bounce around sightseeing instead of racing across. If you are going all that way you might as well visit some places.

I dont think keeping to the speed limit would really be playing in my mind though, when i see one of those dead straight roads through the desert i couldnt keep my foot off the accelerator!

keep in mind there are several regions and stretches of highways that have no posted speed limit. So you wouldn't even have to break it.

the official legal term is "safe and sane for the conditions"

so if you are driving 65mph (~100kmh) and acting like an idiot when there is traffic and bad weather they can pull you over, or if you are going 130mph (~200kmh) and driving cleanly on a sunny day on a clear road and not endangering others they would let you pass without blinking.

ive driven across the US at least 10 times in my life. there are long stretches of road with no speed limit posted. mostly scenic highways and such where there is nothing around for 100-200 miles. trust me, you wont get pulled over on one of those roads. cops dont patrol them. not usually anyway. I could plan a really good route for you if you wanted to visit. land on the east coast, drive south across the country so you hit new orleans; drive though tex-ass possibly stopping at the Alamo; driving through white sands missile range and roswell new mexico; going to tombstone arizona to see a wild west town where they do gunfights 10 times a day at least and go kayaking down the colorado river in the grand canyon (they have some rapids, its fun); come to san diego and i can get you into seaworld, san diego zoo, and wild animal park for free or extremely discounted, then head north and i can get you into disneyland for free and possibly universal studios as well, if not extremely discounted; could take you on a tour through LA mostly through hollywood and beverly hills though cuz those are the places i know best; then head out to vegas for a couple nights before heading back east on the northern routes for different sites such as mt rushmore and stuff. Oh, and you have to visit the PA crew and what-not.

Yeah, it would be pretty impossible to organize a 3-week trip cross country (plus we'd all have to drive back too) since we can't even organize a weekend meet. But still, that would be a sweet thing for all the HFers to do together.

how about this. you all figure out a way to meet up at one spot, and ill rent a big ass van or two.

i should convert a retired school bus into the ultimate road trip machine.

Archived