Nascar

SolMusic

Its like half one in the mornin, and Nascar is on tv, and i was just wondering what on earth is Americas fascination with it? It couldnt have a more boring track, it takes very little skill, other than getting the right line, and for some reason that i really cannot imagine, this race im watching at the mo has 267 laps? wtf! i think thats a tad too much there boys, its the same damn thing lap after lap! i think they should have called it enough at 100... and next, on to the cars, their horrible! all undistinctive, all look the same, and they have stick on headlamp stickers? why!? You would have thought the Americans would have more interest with something that actually takes skill, like Formula 1, or rally driving, or Touring car racing. and for those who are going to try and argue the point that it does take skill...have a look of some videos of WRC rally driving and then try. i think as exiting as it gets in nascar is, somebody slip streams somebody else, someone takes the high line, somebody doesnt...ooo fun.

im sorry for the rant, im bored.

Nascar's IROC series was a race of talent, really. Exact same cars, exact same numbers, exact same racecar weight.

Nascar itself is just gay.

I, as a GM owner think that. That's bad.

Have you ever done circle track racing? You try to control a car at 180 miles and hour around a 90 degree, shallow bank turn. Bet you couldn't do it. It does take skill, a lot, believe me. I talked crap until a friend of mine put me behind the wheel of his dads stock car. Yeah needless to say that bitch almost went into the wall because of the horrible understeer. So don't hate.

Plus it gives us a reason to drink all day and not get into trouble...

Have you ever done circle track racing? You try to control a car at 180 miles and hour around a 90 degree, shallow bank turn. Bet you couldn't do it. It does take skill, a lot, believe me. I talked crap until a friend of mine put me behind the wheel of his dads stock car. Yeah needless to say that bitch almost went into the wall because of the horrible understeer. So don't hate.

Plus it gives us a reason to drink all day and not get into trouble...

Frickin' right. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN GET'R'DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE.

Okay. Enough of that.

The embankments are freaking STEEEEP dude. Walking on them is hard enough, driving is no fun.

Kegger, ok, so you say it takes skill, but no where near as much as a F1 or touring car driver has, I mean there is such a thing of a right hand turn as well! It could have been made a lot more interesting...

lol, the americans perception of the British (we aint all english mate, personally I hate the frackers), is so narrow minded. we dont just sit around all day drinking tea and eating crumpets and saying cheerio! the modern image of britain should be a lager lout, eating a kebab n chips...

I am with you on this one seb. The original NASCAR setup was great. Stock cars racing short to medium length distances on dirt and paved tracks. When NASCAR got away from the the "must be a stock vehicle" back in the 70's or something they failed. Like you said, now its just a bunch of identical cars going the same speed all turning left for an excruciatingly long length of time. Sure it takes skill, but I find it to be horribly dull and very staged.

Fixes for the sport: more non-oval tracks; run at least one track reverse so they have to turn right, but to really screw with them make sure they run the identical car they ran already in a left turning track; run a dirt or clay track; shorter races, sprints that are 50-100 laps max; allow innovations, forcing everyone to run identical set up cars sucks. let them alter the cars aside from specific safety limits.

what you said about it being 'very staged', that very true!

that would screw them up having to turn right lol, cos the cars are like all set up to turn left ain't they? i dunno about the dirt tracks, although it would make it very interesting to watch as they would be crashing left right and center, i dont reckon the cars could handle it! 100 laps is easily enough, 250 is dragging it on way way more than it should be. although running identical cars allows the drivers to show their individual skill, like 80% of the work is done by the cars team, so letting them make their cars how they like within safety rules lets them get some credit for the work they put in. for example, how the rally and f1 championships have seperate manufacturer championships running along side.

I think NASCAR is boring as hell. Prolly takes skill but to me it's no fun to watch at all.

LeMans and F1 are sweet, though I don't watch them too much either. Bike racing's pretty okay.

The only racing I think is something I would watch regularly, if I watched TV regularly that is, is rally type stuff. That's actually exciting to me. Plus, the wrecks are awesome usually.

nascar is bullcrap racing. nascar reminds me of WWF. to me , racing is not who can hide from the wind the best for 400-500 miles of driving in circles , rediculous. the road courses are good but there isnt enough of them. you guys wanna watch real racing , watch F1. them are the boys who can drive.

My father in law loves Nascar and he tries to get me into it. I really do try so we'll have something in common, but I'm just not a fan. In his trying to convince me, he told me "Those cars rev out to 8000-9000 rpms"......to which my response was "huh, my car revs out to 8000 and my dad's revs out at 9000" He wasn't very impressed since I might have slightly offended him. He's going to try and get my boy into it, but he'll be raised Lemans and F1.

My father in law loves Nascar and he tries to get me into it. I really do try so we'll have something in common, but I'm just not a fan. In his trying to convince me, he told me "Those cars rev out to 8000-9000 rpms"......to which my response was "huh, my car revs out to 8000 and my dad's revs out at 9000" He wasn't very impressed since I might have slightly offended him. He's going to try and get my boy into it, but he'll be raised Lemans and F1.

And your is stock. Bioooooooootch.

You should have mentioned how F1 engines rev around 18,000 RPM

You should have mentioned how F1 engines rev around 18,000 RPM

+1

my bike redlines at 13,000 and its only a 500

some 600s, and most 750s and all 1000s (sportbikes) redline at 16,000

Edited by rbolander

Only thing fun to watch about nascar is the replay of crashes. and i agree nascar = huge waste of gas

and its a huge waste of leaded gas too. Not only are they making our gas more expensive by wasting it on 500 mile circle-jerks but they are going the extra mile to pollute my air too.

lol true, Talladega Nights wasnt half bad! So whats like the other motor sports that are big across the pond? F1 that big over there? I reckon F1 drivers are some of the best drivers out there, but its the rally drivers that i think are truely insane! how they can drive a 400bhp evo around a forest stage, with the wheels only gripping like 30% of the time, and swing the cars around corners going 80mph, it astounds me!