Del Sol d16z6 Auto Transmission problems...HELP! :(

infuzion

So heres the deal...ive done alot of searching on this site and others trying to find the fix for this. I cant seem to find it. I have a couple ideas as to what may be wrong but i wanted some educated advice from some other del sol owners on here...so heres the problem.

I just traded some music equipment for a 95 del sol with the d16z6 vtec motor in it. Unfortunately it has an auto tranny in it. The transmission is what is giving me problems. When you start the car and its cold the car runs find, transmission shifts fine through all gears and everything works....but once you let the car warm up...everything still runs and works fine except the transmission. Whatever gear your in when car reaches normal operating temperature...that is the gear it stays in. Wont shift up or down. There are two sensors on the top of the transmission and i thought that hte problem could be with those but im not sure exactly what the two sensors are. Or i could just need a new transmission. Any advice??

I dont want to bother swaping out for 5spd as of right now as the car may become my sisters and she wants an automatic. I already own an s2000 as my daily driver so this is more of a project car. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.

Most people on here don't know much about autos, with the possible exception of Reewinder.

That's a very specific description you gave. I bet if you told that to a mechanic at the dealership they'd know how to fix it.

I had problems with my auto tranny as well.....but the opposite for me....when cold wouldn't shift past 2nd until warmed up.

First thing I would recommend is changing the fluid. For the automatics they recommend you use the Hoda ATF only which is like $6.50 a quart. It will hold roughly 2 1/2 quarts. They recommend changing it every 35,000 miles so who knows when it was last changed or ever changed regularly. That might clear it up. Only other thing I can think of is to make sure the shift cable is in all the way.....I looked up in manual and seems most likely it's your shift cable. If I can figure out how to post it I'll put up a copy of the troubleshooting page. It's in a pdf format so I can't copy and paste....I'll figure it out.

I had problems with my auto tranny as well.....but the opposite for me....when cold wouldn't shift past 2nd until warmed up.

First thing I would recommend is changing the fluid. For the automatics they recommend you use the Hoda ATF only which is like $6.50 a quart. It will hold roughly 2 1/2 quarts. They recommend changing it every 35,000 miles so who knows when it was last changed or ever changed regularly. That might clear it up. Only other thing I can think of is to make sure the shift cable is in all the way.....I looked up in manual and seems most likely it's your shift cable. If I can figure out how to post it I'll put up a copy of the troubleshooting page. It's in a pdf format so I can't copy and paste....I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the replys guys. Yea i am planning to get some advice from mechanic. Just got the car two days ago and i figured i could find a wealth of knowledge on here. I live in the sticks and most of the mechanics around here are useless if it isnt a chevy or ford :( I will change the fluid and make sure the cable is all the way in. Again thanks for the response! it gives me a great place to start.

Ok.......this info says:

No upshift, transmission stays in low gear = modulator valve stuck....or....1-2 shift valve stuck...or clutch pressure control (CPC) valve stuck.

No downshift to low gear = 1st-hold clutch defective....or 1-2 shift valve stuck.

If the 1-2 shift valve is stuck closed, the transmission will not upshift, if stuck open the transmission has no first gear.

Also says a little about throttle control cable:

Throttle control cable adjustment is essential for proper operation of the transmission. Not only does it affect the shift points if misadjusted but also the shift quality and lock-up clutch operation. A cable adjusted too long will result in throttle pressure being too low for the amount of engine torque input into the transmission and may cause clutch slippage. A cable adjusted too short will result in too high throttle pressures which may cause harsh shifts, erratic shifts and torque converter hunting.

Still trying to figure out how to copy that adobe file and just paste it here. If changing the fluid doesn't clear it up then I would suspect one of the above from the symptoms you described. I'll look for the info on How to adjust the throttle cable. I got it here somewhere.

Archived