new timing belt?

matryx

This is my first post. I just recently got a 1996 Integra GS-R a little over a month ago at 217,000kms. I was wondering when I should change the timing belt and water pump? I hear that it should be changed every 90,000miles (144,000kms) I'm now at 220,000kms so I'm not sure if I need to change or not. I read somewhere I should change it at 70,000 miles (120,000kms) if I'm driving it under heavy conditions. So should I be changing it at 288,000kms or 240,000kms? And if I do change the belt I should change the water pump as well?

yes and yes

the wp is buried under the belt and it is a cheap part. better to do all at the same time and save yourself a huge headache later.

I think I might give it a go. I already got the repair manual and scan through it a bit. Seem's a bit intimidating and complicated, but I might give it a try. Where should I be looking for these parts? Should I be looking for OEM's or aftermarket? Things other people suggest I change from other forums I frequent.

Change Timing Belt

Change Water Pump

Tensioner Pulley

Spring

Front Camshaft Oil Seals

Oil Pump Seal

Thermostat

Radiator cap

Spark Plugs

Distributor cap

Rotors

Fuel Filter

That's quite an extensive tune up but with such high miles it might be worth it.

I dunno about changing your radiator cap but they're cheap anyway. And while you're changing your dizzy cap and rotor (not that it's your rotor and not your rotors, which would be brake parts and much more expensive) you might as well get some new spark transfer wires too.

Stick with NGKs for all that stuff. Original Honda or respected aftermarket for the other stuff that's important, like the timing belt. Radiator cap and little stuff you could prolly cheap out on, but you'll only save a few bucks here and there so it's prolly not worth it.

Oh, and change every fluid in the car while you're at it.

well, the timing belt, WP and the tensioner are all important to do at the same time since they are all connected together and require the same disassembly. The seal are not a common failure item that I am aware of. The other items are all accessible at any time so doing them when you do the timing belt really isn't relevant.

Would be a good idea to get a honda part for the timing assembly since it is such an exhaustive tear down. Best for longevity. I didn't bother with honda parts as the motor I just put the parts on isn't going to remain in the car for more than 20-30k miles before I pull it to swap.

If you have never done it before it really wasn't that difficult. The hardest part for me was getting the crank pulley bolt off. Search on google. there are several ways to do it. just pick one way that you have the right tools and skills to handle.

I'm thinking I can change the radiator cap, rotors, spark plugs, plug wires, and oil filter myself. I just want to know what parts I should tell the mechanic to change also with the timing belt while his in there. The other components that I can change myself I'll change later unless I get a good price on the labour.

Can anyone link me to a website so I can order these parts online for cheaper that ships to Canada as well. It's going to be a lot more expensive if I get these parts at the dealer isn't it?

Archived