Request for advice - wiring harness repair

cclshome

I have isolated an intermittent problem in the power windows and power locks of my 1996 Civic LX 4-door sedan. The problem is in the wiring harness which connects the car body to the driver's door. Several wires have broken loose from the connector which plugs into the door. Here is a photo of the connector attached to the door, with rubber shroud pulled back. One loose wire is visible: Photo (http://www.trainweb.org/roc/tmp/pix/P7140033.JPG)

How best to repair this?

I could splice in short sections of wire and reattach them to the connector, but I am concerned that additional wires will fail in due time.

I could buy a complete new "floor harness" from Honda, cut off and swap in just this section, and splice each wire to the old harness behind the kick panel. Tedious.

Any better ideas?

Thanks.

junkyard , get the harness , and splice it in. if it wasnt so burnt you could probably fix it , but i see wires are broke and its obviously had heat on it due to the short , so replace it if i were you. if you never plan on taking your doors off , eliminate the clip and wire it direct , lol.

junkyard , get the harness , and splice it in. if it wasnt so burnt you could probably fix it , but i see wires are broke and its obviously had heat on it due to the short , so replace it if i were you. if you never plan on taking your doors off , eliminate the clip and wire it direct , lol.

two weeks later he's t-boned lightly enough that they can repair the damage.

boop. doors gotta come off. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas.

Two Honda parts departments wanted $400(US) for the complete floor harness. They both suggested salvage yards.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the harness from salvage yards.

So I came up with a compromise hack...

For the power windows, I made a circuit design change. I removed the power window switches in the driver's door from the circuits which control the windows in other doors. As a result, each window is now controlled only by the switch in that door. And the switches in the driver's door do nothing. I can live with this. The change took minimal rewiring to the floor harness behind the driver's kick panel.

For the power locks, I will just ignore the problem and push the lock buttons in each door manually. A nuisance. Oh well.

I will always wonder what caused these wires to fail. I bought the car used with 30K miles. It must have gone through the ringer before that.

Archived