i think i'm getting ripped off

Pballer2005

i backed into a friends car a couple weeks ago and hit teh door going like 2 mph. they got most of teh dent out but if you look down the door it looks wavy and not nice and smooth. somehow the paint still looks perfect. he took it to a friends shop to get an estimate fot getting it smoothed out and the guy said it would be $900!!! i read the invoice and it said that tehy were respraying the front fender, the outside mirror, the door handle, rear door and its handle, and the rear 1/4 panel in order to "blend" the paint from fading. its a white dodge durango, moded to hell, and looks very nice.my question is why do you have to respray the whole half of the damn thing just to fix a 2 square foot section? the paint is white and i know from personal experiance that white doesn't fade. its not anyspecial paint either, they just got it painted with factory aint. plus they've recently had the entire truck repainted after they got all the body kit installed, so its only 2-3 years old.

You're getting your ass reamed.

You need to get pictures of his car to verify how minimal the damage is. Hard to say when we can't see it.

dont run into people's cars.

labor costs a lot.

yeah i know. it helps if you check to see if there's a car behind you. that was the worst feeling in the world when i was having fun, backing up after having a good day, then CRUNCH. i've had the worst luck with backing out of places with this car. i loved my truck cuz i was high off the ground and i could see everything. but yeah i thought i was getting ripped. i know labor costs alot, $40 an hour for this place, but i'm thinking that all the extra work is just a little excessive.

Yeah, that sounds crazy. Tell him that if he wants to be a cock about it you'll just report it to insurance and they'll handle it. When he ends up at an approved auditor's shop getting an estimate for 200 bucks just for the one spot then he'll realize he shouldn't have tried to be an ass to his friend.

they are mopar freaks. they did a good job though. it has new pistons, re-ground cam, 6-speed auto, rims, tires, rear end, exhaust, body kits. its not amazing but it has LOTS of torque, can burn out those 12" wide tires from a dead stop very easily. the kid who owns it isn't being a weiner its his dad who's suck an butthead. the kid said that he would just tell his insurance company that someone hit him in a parking lot but his dad was threatening to call a lawyer when i told him i wasn't paying that much. i don't get why people have to be such pricks. if he was nice to me and just asked if he could have my # and insurance info so that we could resolve this normally i would be alot more motivated to get it done.

Sounds like you're in quite a pickel. Talk to your friend and try to deal with him and not his dad. If it's the kid's truck then that shouldn't be a problem.

they are mopar freaks. they did a good job though. it has new pistons, re-ground cam, 6-speed auto, rims, tires, rear end, exhaust, body kits. its not amazing but it has LOTS of torque, can burn out those 12" wide tires from a dead stop very easily. the kid who owns it isn't being a weiner its his dad who's suck an butthead. the kid said that he would just tell his insurance company that someone hit him in a parking lot but his dad was threatening to call a lawyer when i told him i wasn't paying that much. i don't get why people have to be such pricks. if he was nice to me and just asked if he could have my # and insurance info so that we could resolve this normally i would be alot more motivated to get it done.

Turn it over to your insurance anyway. They'll get far less work done and your premiums shouldn't rise too much.

thats what i'm gonna do. the lady that does our insurance did my parents insurance when they were kids so she's considered a family friend and has been a huge help to us. unfortunately this would be my second accident. would the fact that it was a little fender bender make any difference to the insurance or do they treat any accident the same?

It will deffo make a difference. Backing into a parked car across the street from your driveway at 2 mph is much better than running a red light and t-boning an old lady on her way to church.

let me put it to you this way you are getting screwed. it doent cost that much. if it did you would be pAYING FOR $800 WORTH OF LABOR which works out to 20 hours and by the book it should only be about 8 hours so you are getting ripped of 12 hours which is $480 have him take it to a different body shop one where you wont get ripped off.

Archived