1998 Accord Tranny LX 5spd issue.

Sedare

Im on vacation in Idaho from North Dakota, and reverse walled off. I cant get into the gear at all. This has happened before 3 or 4 times but it hasnt lasted more then 1 day. Its been 5 days now and its pissing me off because I kinda need to go places and Im forgetting to not park where I can just drive out. I checked with a local tranny shop that my dad and I both trust this place and they said it was not the Linkage since there is no adjustment on that. But its something related to the stick or the part going into the tranny or what THAT piece connects with inside the tranny.

Seeing how this is an Intermittent issue, is there anything that I should do or is this an easy fix?

I have 100% perfect 1st - 5th gears btw. Its only related to reverse that I cant use it. Tranny fluid high, 152k miles at this point 153.5 by the time i get home lol so what would be my next step?

Older Hondas often have poorly sequenced reverse gears. So I always put it in first then reverse. The amount of time it is in first does not matter, you do not need to release the clutch. The point of the movement is to get the reverse gear in "the proper motion". I am putting that in quotations since I truely do not know exactly how it works, just that it does.

My wife has a grinding reverse on her 2007 Pontiac Vibe. She continues to grind it EVERY SINGLE TIME, it's like finger nails on a chalk board to me. When I drive it, I have no problems shifting to reverse through use of the above technique.

I know you did not say you're grinding, but it's worth a shot.

You might want to try giving some gas while shifting to see if it makes any difference. Problems with throw bearings are often temporarily overcome by giving gas while shifting.

ok so none of that did anything.

I got it back to ND and my roommate messed with it... and basicly pulled the shifter past... whatever inside the tranny is holding the shifter out of reverse... close enough to where i could just burn the clutch against the gear a little and get the car to move backwards. The car is not ever IN reverse... but its like.... its close. Seeing that this is intermittent, i will eventually work past whatever is in the way. But what worries me is that what ever is getting in the way of my access to reverse in the tranny... might break off... and then im lost.

Ive come to the conclusion that my tranny is going out.

:bash:

this is a similar issue I have with every honda I have owned....mystical reverse. Most of the time it is remedied for me by shifting into first and rolling the car ever so slightly forward and then switching into reverse. when that is not an option and I have nothing else I can do I just slam it hard into the gate and it goes. I know, not the most elegant method, but it has worked for me.

nothing was actually wrong with any other these cars and 100,000+ miles later they still ran fine with no issues.

Archived