'97 Civic Lights Fading In and Out

ocskatalite

Hi all,

I recently purchased a '97 Honda Civic. I love the car, however, when I drive on the freeway at night, I notice that my headlights, as well as my interior / dash lights (in other words the entire electrical system) will flicker between bright and dim quite randomly. It does not impede my driving ability at all, it is just a bit annoying. Also, I don't imagine that it is my alternator, as there is no relation between my rpms and the brightness of the lights. Any help or suggestions anybody might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Kyle

Hi all,

I recently purchased a '97 Honda Civic. I love the car, however, when I drive on the freeway at night, I notice that my headlights, as well as my interior / dash lights (in other words the entire electrical system) will flicker between bright and dim quite randomly. It does not impede my driving ability at all, it is just a bit annoying. Also, I don't imagine that it is my alternator, as there is no relation between my rpms and the brightness of the lights. Any help or suggestions anybody might have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Kyle

i believe it can be ur battery try giving it a charge and see what happenes from there

sounds like the regulator is on the verge.its built in the alternator .

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately, things have gotten worse - I was driving home last night and my interior lights went out completely. My other dash lights, those for cruise control, my gear indicator etc all still work, only the dash/backlight lights went out. ...would that be a regulator problem as well?

yes , it might have had a power spike and blew your fuses. check your fuses and replace your alt.

Checked the fuses - both the fuses for the dash lights and for the cigarette lighter were toast. Replaced them and everything worked again - looks like I'll be replacing that alternator over the weekend.

i was driving home one night , middle of nowhere , no street lights or nothing , high beams on , only car on the road , lol. all the sudden , everything got killer bright for about 3 seconds , than pow , my headlights burnt out , both them at the same time , lol. total darkness , lol.

• 5 years later...

Archived