another lsvtec thread

kaw21100

Hmm I didnt know that would happen if you lowered it, interesting. Supposedly theres a guy around here with an integra non-gsr with a complete vtec headswap. I dont know much about hondas but appearently he took a 17sec car and made it 14sec. He has hondata along with a vtec controller, is it really useless? or just useless on an S2000?

Well, the rpm band goes to 9k but I redline at 8200 =P. Having only 2000 rpms of highcam just doesnt seem like enough time?

VTEC is far from useless....especially in the S2000. I was saying that if you drop the VTEC point, then it is basically useless. THe way it is setup now is what gives it it's top end power......if it ran on the VTEC lobes all the time however, your low-mid range power would suck considerably worse than it already does.

A LS-VTEC is a different story. Since those weren't manufactured by honda, they have no preset VTEC point. When tuning with Hondata, the tuner can decide the best point for VTEC to activate and he can add the appropriate fuel and timing to make VTEC work at that point.

If only 2000 (2200 actually) rpms of high cam doesn't tickle your fancy then take your car to redline at 9k like it's suppossed to. It's not going to hurt anything to go to 9, and by shifting early, you're losing the best part of the S2K's powerband. Shifting at 9k gives you 3k in VTEC.

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is.....what's more important to you......being in VTEC more often, or getting the most power potential out of your motor?

Edit: I see now that you've got a 2004 and I think that's the 2.2 liter. If so, then my 9k redline was not right, but the same stands for which you perfer, maximum performance from your motor or being on the VTEC lobes more often.

Ahh, I didnt mean vtec was useless I mean vtec controller.. but now I understand better. Thank you.

Yeah im definatly not used to taking a car that high safely. But thats hondas whole design, high revving haha. I can't wait till shes on the road, I have a feeling im gonna have a lot of fun with her =P

So whats better, a gsr motor, or an ls-vtec head on an ls block? or is it the same thing?

Yeah im definatly not used to taking a car that high safely. But thats hondas whole design, high revving haha. I can't wait till shes on the road, I have a feeling im gonna have a lot of fun with her =P

It took me few weeks of getting used to my Prelude, but now when I have to drive my Mazda I seem to hit the rev limiter too easily. I am the kind of person who prefers low-end grunt, but there is definitely fun to have out of a high-revving engine. You'll more than enjoy the S2000.

Naw man not with your almost 9000 rpm redline. Yours is at the perfect place for a power boost. And BTW VTEC controllers blow more than Anna Nicole Smith.

speaking of anna nichole smith did u guys hear that she died yesterday. sorry for the off topis i just got reminded is all.

So whats better, a gsr motor, or an ls-vtec head on an ls block? or is it the same thing?

Correction:

GSR vs. Vtec head on LS block

I'm in the process of lsvtec. I tend to favor that build b/c you get a slight edge on tq over the gsr, and also if you use a B16 head, you have the advantage of a better intake manifold.

i'm using a gsr head w/ a Blox or AEBS IM b/c the gsr IM is so restrictive.

Archived