My 1987 CRX HF -- Tell me what you think!

bonus12

hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've had this car since November 6, '06. When i bought it, everything was stock -- everything. It had 125,905 miles, and its paint was rough. The interior was near perfect, and everything was functioning completely well. no leaks. I got a deal at $850.

Now, it has 129,530, and everything still works great. I clay barred it once and wax it every now and then. Everything is still stock except the wheels. I am getting pretty good gas mileage, in the low 40's.

Take a look at some pics and please, tell me what you think! Be honest please.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3394/dsc00217ln7.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/308/dsc00230kc1.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3139/up...31707020ro0.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3084/up...22107006fg6.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4672/dsc00222dw6.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1584/up...22107009me7.jpg

Outside of the fact that in that first picture it's ride height looks like an SUVs, it looks pretty good. I wish my 87 looked half as good.

i think it's a little higher than normal b/c that driveway is sloped slightly. still, it is a little higher than i'd like, but i'm still happy with it.

thanks for the comment.

I want a Rex really, really bad :(

they are fun cars to own. i owned an '88 supra turbo before my crx and, honestly, i enjoy owning the crx more. the crx has amazing handling and great gas mileage. it will even be pretty zippy if your driving an Si.

do people use craigslist.com in your area? u can find a great deal on there for sure.

they are fun cars to own. i owned an '88 supra turbo before my crx and, honestly, i enjoy owning the crx more. the crx has amazing handling and great gas mileage. it will even be pretty zippy if your driving an Si.

do people use craigslist.com in your area? u can find a great deal on there for sure.

I would buy one today just to mess around with, but I'm trying to hold on to my money so I can buy a B18 for my EH2.

the wheels are pretty new to my car. do you guys think they work for my car?

they are VW snowflake wheels. i think they are on most cabrios.

They go well with the car, clean CRX.

The rims go very well with the HF, not too contemporary. Older CRXs with newer rims is often a hard look to pull off.

When I had my silver 1987 CRX DX, I took the wheel covers off to expose the black steelies. Then for a retro look, I put on 1980 Civic 1300 chrome center caps and outer rings.

If I was to do it all over again, I would:

1) start with a red 1984 CRX Si since I like the rear hatch design and black spoiler

2) swap headlights with an 1987 (DX, HF, Si)

3) swap front bumper with 1988/1989 Acura Integra if possible. I started this swap, but never finished

4) swap rear bumper and side panels with 1987 CRX Si

5) paint the newer pieces to match the 1984 CRX Si color scheme (Red/Grey)

6) swap in brown-top D16 from Acura Integra, retaining stock intake/exhaust/air-box/muffler

7) DOHC PGM-Fi stickers from 1987 Acura Integra on each side

8) Honda OEM Black center faux wire rim look with polished aluminum edges, I have seen these in the bone yard

9) Restore the interior to like new condition (orange display Honda OEM cassette stereo, etc.) and call it a day

Maybe someday.

I learned how to drive in a maroon 1983 Honda Civic CVCC Wagon (standard). My first car was a silver 1987 Dodge Omni. I had the Omni for about a year. After my first accident (with the Omni), I bought the silver 1987 Honda CRX DX (automatic) and swiftly got my first speeding ticket.

I was young and careless. With the silver 1987 CRX DX, I would go out to I-10 west and bottom-out the speedometer by holding down the gas pedal to the floor board. Once the speedo' was done, I would watch the tachometer creep over to 5k and just float there.

I got to Tallahassee, FL from Jacksonville, FL quickly, but if a deer or car or anything pulled out in front of me, or if a cross-wind blew hard enough, I would have been ripped to shreds.

Very dangerous, now I just appreciate Honda longevity and beauty.

Speaking of which, you did a bang-up job on those front fenders with the clay bar. I know how that old plastic can be (flexing and cracking). Old paint, that has very little flex agent remaining, on that brittle plastic seems to always want to crack just enough to fill with carnauba wax.

My DX sat in my parents’ driveway for about 2 years after moving out. The engine needed headwork, and I could not afford to either tow it away or buy the tools to do the job. It would crank and run, but the valve seat on #3 cylinder was shot and would foul out the plug. Someone got a nice car when my parents GAVE it away (yeah, free).

I actually found OEM rear speakers for the CRX. They where the only pair I ever saw in the bone yard, and pulled them out of an 1986 CRX Si when I found them. I put Pioneer 8” speakers in the OEM brackets. Horrible sound compared to present technology, but the setup looked smooth.

I learned how to drive in a maroon 1983 Honda Civic CVCC Wagon (standard).

in all seriousness, good story. you're a great writer, and i wouldn't be suprised if you are an author of a book or two.

anyway, I practiced stick on a maroon 1987 toyota camry station wagon. great car, actually. my parents basically gave this car to me to drive during my sophomore and junior years in high school, but i gave it back when the clutch could no longer grab at 0 mph. ha ha.

My next car was a manual 1988 supra turbo. it had an amazing black coat and was in fantastic condition. i got it for a great deal. i learned how to take care of a car inside and out. i was in high school then, so my budget wouldn't allow for a gas-drinking sports car, and i was bound to get a ticket at any time. i sold it for $1000 more than i bought it for.

I drove an orange 1972 vw bug with a new engine for a couple months until i came across my CRX. i don't think i will ever sell this car; i'll only make it better.

I don't think I'll ever own another car without air conditioning. I don't care "how fast" it is LOL. Doesn't really affect it all that much.

Very clean old car dude. Much props to you on that.

I learned how to drive in a maroon 1983 Honda Civic CVCC Wagon (standard). My first car was a silver 1987 Dodge Omni. I had the Omni for about a year. After my first accident (with the Omni), I bought the silver 1987 Honda CRX DX (automatic) and swiftly got my first speeding ticket.

I was young and careless. With the silver 1987 CRX DX, I would go out to I-10 west and bottom-out the speedometer by holding down the gas pedal to the floor board. Once the speedo' was done, I would watch the tachometer creep over to 5k and just float there.

I got to Tallahassee, FL from Jacksonville, FL quickly, but if a deer or car or anything pulled out in front of me, or if a cross-wind blew hard enough, I would have been ripped to shreds.

Very dangerous, now I just appreciate Honda longevity and beauty.

Speaking of which, you did a bang-up job on those front fenders with the clay bar. I know how that old plastic can be (flexing and cracking). Old paint, that has very little flex agent remaining, on that brittle plastic seems to always want to crack just enough to fill with carnauba wax.

My DX sat in my parents’ driveway for about 2 years after moving out. The engine needed headwork, and I could not afford to either tow it away or buy the tools to do the job. It would crank and run, but the valve seat on #3 cylinder was shot and would foul out the plug. Someone got a nice car when my parents GAVE it away (yeah, free).

I actually found OEM rear speakers for the CRX. They where the only pair I ever saw in the bone yard, and pulled them out of an 1986 CRX Si when I found them. I put Pioneer 8” speakers in the OEM brackets. Horrible sound compared to present technology, but the setup looked smooth.

I've done much spirited driving on I10 outside of Tallahassee. ;)

Archived