Hello! I am a car noob.

Frost9009

Hello everyone! My name is P.J. Collier and i just got a 1989 Civic Si. I had a leaky valve gasket so i replaced that, the plugs and wires, new fual pump and filter. I am new to cars and i like to try and do things myself. The car runs greats well "ran great". After i changed the fual pump and filter it has a hard time starting and it runs low in the rpms. It wants to die at a stop light so i have to get on the pedal a lil. My pops said check the idle and well idk where that thing is lol. When i got the car it has a new exaust and cold air intake and its lowered. It has some dmg to the hood and the rims are pealing. Well thats my car lol i love it to death so i must restore it! I would like to go fast and be safe while going fast. I am not sure what is normally done first to a car. Oh i forgot to add this lol every gauge but the speed one doesnt work and the heat gauge starts at 0 and goes to max when you are like 1 min into a drive. The fuses seem to be fine. The ones by the bartery and the inside fuses. Please help. I also have a post in the civic forums about my problem. I look forward chatting with some of you car people. Like i said idk much about cars. :)

hmmmm......you might want to reset the Engine Control Module (ECM) in order to change the idle........wait.........I don't know if 1989 Civics even had an ECM.........but if it does......then reseting it might help your problem. To reset it you have to pull the back up fuse from the fusebox in the engine compartment and leave it out for 10 seconds.......make sure you do this without the keys in the ignition.......you could potentially fry your ECM if you do it wrong...........as for your wheels......they need to be refinished. You should check to make sure that your engine has basic maintenance taken care of......you know.....spark plugs, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, good belts....etc. You say you want to go fast.......so I can recommend the most cost effective mods to give you a little extra hp. You should look into a cold air intake, a new intake manifold, a new throttle body, new exhaust headers, completely new exhaust piping and muffler. Also.....to add the safety that you said you wanted.....you could add racing seats with 5 point harnesses..............all of this stuff i'm telling you about can be found here. It's a site especially made for civics......pretty useful too.....Just select what year and model of civic that you have and it will show you only the parts that you can use.......anyway, I guess the only other thing that I can tell you is good luck.......I hope everything goes well and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask..........although you might want to read up on info about the parts of your car............it helps to know what you're talking about......lol.

hmmmm......you might want to reset the Engine Control Module (ECM) in order to change the idle........wait.........I don't know if 1989 Civics even had an ECM.........but if it does......then reseting it might help your problem. To reset it you have to pull the back up fuse from the fusebox in the engine compartment and leave it out for 10 seconds.......make sure you do this without the keys in the ignition.......you could potentially fry your ECM if you do it wrong...........as for your wheels......they need to be refinished. You should check to make sure that your engine has basic maintenance taken care of......you know.....spark plugs, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, good belts....etc. You say you want to go fast.......so I can recommend the most cost effective mods to give you a little extra hp. You should look into a cold air intake, a new intake manifold, a new throttle body, new exhaust headers, completely new exhaust piping and muffler. Also.....to add the safety that you said you wanted.....you could add racing seats with 5 point harnesses..............all of this stuff i'm telling you about can be found here. It's a site especially made for civics......pretty useful too.....Just select what year and model of civic that you have and it will show you only the parts that you can use.......anyway, I guess the only other thing that I can tell you is good luck.......I hope everything goes well and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask..........although you might want to read up on info about the parts of your car............it helps to know what you're talking about......lol.

Ya i understand that. I do need to learn the up and down of my car. I think it has a ECM its a 89 si Fuel injected. its got that PGM-I fuel system.

yeah....i'm pretty sure it has an ECM.......oh, and another thing came to mind........you might want to get the fuel injectors cleaned.

yeah......but i'd have to look it up in the service manual to give you the exact procedure........you just remove the fuel rail.....which is that metal bar that's on top of the fuel injectors..........then you remove the fuel injectors from the engine block and clean the tips.......

yeah......but i'd have to look it up in the service manual to give you the exact procedure........you just remove the fuel rail.....which is that metal bar that's on top of the fuel injectors..........then you remove the fuel injectors from the engine block and clean the tips.......

I have a service manual. Thanks for all the help bro when it gets light out i will clean them. Should they be cleaned with soap and water or gasoline?

Well......they have a special solvent that cleans fuel injectors......that's what i'd use.......but if you don't want to spend money on that then rinsing them out with water should be good enough.......just make sure the tips are completely unobstructed and that you dry them before you put them back in.

Well......they have a special solvent that cleans fuel injectors......that's what i'd use.......but if you don't want to spend money on that then rinsing them out with water should be good enough.......just make sure the tips are completely unobstructed and that you dry them before you put them back in.

Will do! Thanks for all the help, i know it can be iritating when a noob like me asks alot of questions. I will try and figure things out before i result into asking something lol. Off to make breakfast

Welcome, pics of your car!

Here ya go, i took them just for you Sam. Car was in a bad position for them shots. Yes its lowered, and it has a sunroof!

(Pics were takin on a LG Chocolate Verison phone at 160x120 resolution)

0701070740.jpg

0701070739.jpg

Edited by Frost9009

wow......I think my camera takes pics at like 3000x2500..........but I like your car.....it looks good lowered.

Edited by quake

Welcome to the board!

Keep the hatch clean, they look amazing when done up right.

Ya, i love the way it looks and all. No stickers for me lol. Going for a Dark Red paint (Blood Red), black rims look. And an inside to match.