Opinion on an engine

Hey all. I have been presented with the opportunity of buying a full B18a swap (engine, ecu, tranny, linkage) for about 700 bucks. I haven't seen it yet but I will check it out before I buy. The only downside is that it has 150k miles. Is that a fairly good deal if the engine checks out when I see it running?

b18a, as in from a 90-93 series teg? not too sure on the exact year myself...

that produced very low hp for the displacement - 130hp. not a great swap candidate.

locally you can buy the whole car for about 1k, so I would say $700 is high if it has more than 100k on the motor.

Guy called and said he would let it go for 500. I'm going to go to his house and see it started up and make sure it runs well. What happened is his mom's teg got rear ended pretty bad and the insurance place totaled it out so he is just pulling the engine and trying to sell it for his mom. Still not sure if it is worth it but I'm gonna check it out.

If what he's saying is true, then the motor shouldn't be too bad since his mom was driving it. If He was driving it, now that's a different story. His mom probably didn't drive it hard. Not sure though man, the decision is yours.

b18a is sorta ancient so one would expect it to have high mileage, yes?

Yeah, and it'll easily run for another 50k if it's in good condition. They're better swaps for 4th gen Civics, but it's still better than what he's got now.

My mom's Prelude has 229K on it. H23A Powah!!

dayum...she probably kept it under 55 though, right? :p

Another question. Looking at this B18b on HMO and wanted to know which tranny I should get with it? Heard the Y80/S80 have really long gears. Should I buy a GSR tranny or a B16 tranny?

=P I've been 115 in it. The motor mounts are shot and it still burns 2nd. ;) H23's are torque monsters. H23's need a 6th gear, 5 isn't enough! :mad: Sadly I have an auto in my sol, so I can't help ya. :(

long, is slower acceleration, but higher top end and generally better fuel mileage

medium is a balance between the two

short is faster acceleration, but lower top end and subsequently worse fuel mileage

Going with one of my friends who is a mechanic at Honda to check out the motor that this guy wants to sell for 500. I'll let y'all know how it turned out!

Archived