Delaware racers get busted...

compuvision02

Will William Casey's Z06 get crushed?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which you think will happen.

• Yes, it will be crushed.
    • No, he'll be driving it home.

...in Canada. I heard about this through some local buddies of mine from Delaware and they know atleast the one guy, William Casey. They were caught street racing in Canada the day they decided to come down hard on street racing there. Casey drives a 603whp Procharged C5 Z06, he sits in jail and his car in impound.

I think the car is going to get crushed. What about you?

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

NEWMARKET, Ont. — Two American men face charges after York Region police spotted a pair of street racers in black Corvettes speeding at more than 200 kilometres an hour.

Investigators say the two drivers, seen racing along Highway 400, were in "obvious competition with one another.''

An officer spotted the speeding Corvettes around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon and contacted headquarters.

Police eventually caught up to the vehicles and arrested both drivers.

The arrests came the same day Attorney General Michael Bryant vowed to get tough on street racers, saying that police wouldn't hesitate to seize and destroy cars that have been "tuned up'' for racing.

William Casey, 22, of Wilmington, Del., and Brandon Edmundson, 23, of Peoria, Ariz., are charged with racing on a highway and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, and had a court appearance Thursday.

That's what I figure. Sure they are cracking down, but what better way to say it then them crushing cars that were caught the day they made the decision to go hard on street racing. Plus, making an example out of people who don't even live there will probably make people who do live there think twice, hell they crushed a tourists car without a doubt, they'll definetly crush my local ass in a heart beat.

Only reason I think they may not get crushed, is the fact that they aren't from Canada. Sort of like how points will not transfer from state to state, I'm not sure they can do full force in automobile related incidents to non-citizens.

I wish I were a cop.

That way, if I were running radar and I saw the attorney general running late trying to get to his office, speeding, I'd impound his car and have it crushed.

thats wrong that they can just crush their car cos they were having some fun. who the f*ck gives them the right to do that to their cars?

Um...its called the law thats what gives them the right.

I wish I were a cop.

That way, if I were running radar and I saw the attorney general running late trying to get to his office, speeding, I'd impound his car and have it crushed.

no, thats speeding, not street racing....

I'd say crush the damn things. People will soon wise up and realize what they are doing is breaking the law, and not pull the stupid a$$ sh!t anymore.

Um...its called the law thats what gives them the right.

no, thats speeding, not street racing....

I'd say crush the damn things. People will soon wise up and realize what they are doing is breaking the law, and not pull the stupid a$$ sh!t anymore.

Yes but let someone be speeding next to him.

Could easily be misconstrued as racing. Happens here all the time.

then what?

"well this car was following him, then went around to pass, sooo... I just assumed they HAD to be racing. I mean come on, they were above the speed limit, and side by side. Its obvious they were racing."

You can get "street racing" pulled out on you for anything if a cop wants to. Example, I was told I was street racing when I was tailgating a guy; I was told I was street racing when I made a non-signaled lane change; I was told I was street racing when I was speeding; I was told I was street racing when I was just cruising next to my friend. Anything can be considered street racing, you don't even need an opponent. It's gay.

I think that the first person who has their car crushed by the authorities and has money in their pockets will be bringing around one hell of a lawsuit against the government. I've all for stiff penalties against crimes, but destruction of personal property without reimbursement goes too far.

Not exactly the same thing, but it is kin to someone getting arrested for selling weed at their house, so they demolish the house....

My thought is that if the seizure and destruction of the cars continues that there will be an increase in violence accompanying it. People with no love for cops and government may street race armed to defend their property, or in the case of police chases they will refuse to stop and make for gigantic drawn out dangerous police chases, and break ins and robberies from the impound lots will go up too. If someone knew that a pair of highly modified vettes were going to be crushed and they were each worth a boatload of cash in parts do you think there wouldn't have been at least a few people think of how they could break in and steal them first?

they absolutely shouldnt be able to crush thier cars , if they do and get away with it , thats another perfect example of how much of a dictatorship we live in these days. give them huge fines , huge insurance premiums , weekends even , but crushing thier cars is totally unacceptable and they shouldnt be able to get away with it. not without giving them the value first.

yes comp gay , our whole leadership process. you know why they keep making more and more rules and fines for different situations? its called revenue son. has nothing to do with morals anymore , or protecting you. they create revenue to support thier own beurocracy , period. a guy here locally just got busted not long ago , doing 254 in a 100 zone in his civic hatch turbo. and than a week later he traded that car for another , and got caught street racing. hes pending a court date and still driving right now. and when he gets convicted , they will take his license for at least a year , big fine , and it will be exspensive when he drives again for a while. now thats canada , and thats how it should be.

yes comp gay , our whole leadership process. you know why they keep making more and more rules and fines for different situations? its called revenue son. has nothing to do with morals anymore , or protecting you.

think about it this way for a min.... if they didn't control street racing, and half the road violations, wtf would it be like to drive down the road from day to day. fukin teens racing, having NO respect for the other drivers, people getting killed cause of reckless driving, etc. It would be downright dangerous. look what happened during Katrina when people realized they could get away with stuff like looting out of stores.... total chaos They are protecting you. you give up some rights so that they can keep this kinda crap under control.

they have to make an example out of people, thats the way this sh!t works. Back in the day (this was a wednesday btw) where did they do the hangings at? right in the middle of town, and they would invite everyone to watch, to show them "you want to do this kinda behavior, then this is what we are going to do!"

and guess what.... that actually worked!!

street racing is a problem, and you can't stop it by giving people fines. anyone here know anyone that has had multible DUI's?? that crap is outrageous, but they still do it, until finally they get their license pulled.

its either catch them at that end, or before they start modifying their cars. and we know that cracking down on the aftermarket parts just isn't going to happen.

EDIT: cranny that speed is in kph not mph right? lol.....

Look, street racing is a huge problem, they have issued fines, jail sentences, impounds, and large insurance premiums in the past and it has done nothing to slow the street racing craze. People still get killed by street racing. They have to find a punishment that is severe enough to make people have second thoughts on whether or not they should race. How to you put a value on human life? A population as a whole would rather see a vehicle crushed that was used for illegal activities than to see that several fatalities were caused by some yahoo that decided to street race and roll his car around a corner and crash through a coffee shop or daycare. No one can predict what will happen in a street race, thats why it should be kept on a track. What happens if a car suffers a blowout at 110 mph during a street race, someone will lose control of their car and collateral damage will happen. its not a question of if, but a question of when.

taking away a person's license wont necessarily stop him from driving, thousands of people get tickets for driving without a license or driving on a suspended. If you raise an insurance premium, whats to keep a person from going out and just driving without insurance. thousands of people do that too.

irregardless of every other argument, the point is: does the government have the right to seize and destroy your personal property?

this is an interesting point because the 4th amendment grants us safety from search and seizure without appropriate court authorization. decree by the AG is not court authorization and the destruction of the cars is in direct violation of the US constitution. items cannot be seized unless in the process of a criminal investigation, and although it is not legal, street racing is still just a vehicular offense and is not a criminal offense, so the entire concept of seizing a car and destroying it when someone is street racing is unconstitutional.

don't get me wrong pyro, something must be done, but destroying cars is not the answer.

when you go 20mph above the speed limit it becomes a criminal offense. if you go over a 100mph it becomes a felony offense, at least here in california. The government can pass laws that will save lives, thats why ammendments are made to constitutions with certain issues arise.

read above, it takes a court order for a vehicle to be crushed. what a judge says, is law.

and certain driving offenses are criminal, such as DUI, or driving without insurance, or driving on a suspended license, or driving without a license. those are criminal offenses, misdemeaners, but criminal non the less.

If you were caught street racing and your car was crushed, would you have second thoughts about street racing in your next car, or would you go out and do it again? I think its a big enough deterrent. Hmm, i think ill violate the law and street race today and possibly put my life at risk as well as other people in case i crash, or i wont break the law and face the possibility of my car being crushed if i do.

actually, if my car was seized I would be liable to shoot someone, not worry about racing again.

i guess I needed to clarify my own statement further, Felony offense. Warrants are not issued for misdemeanors.

yes, what a judge says is law, what the ag says is just whatever he feels like saying. Doesn't mean that his actions are constitutional.

actually, if my car was seized I would be liable to shoot someone, not worry about racing again.

i guess I needed to clarify my own statement further, Felony offense. Warrants are not issued for misdemeanors.

yes, what a judge says is law, what the ag says is just whatever he feels like saying. Doesn't mean that his actions are constitutional.

youre not liable to shoot a police officer who is seizing you car as instructed by a court order.

The Attorney General is the one that prosecutes you. If the big man Attorney general himself recommends to a judge that a car should be crushed if it is impounded for street racing, the judge will most likely follow that recommendation.

The Attorney General is the one that prosecutes you. If the big man Attorney general himself recommends to a judge that a car should be crushed if it is impounded for street racing, the judge will most likely follow that recommendation.

as the laws currently stand there is no constitutional right for the state to do this. in fact, there is no constitutional right for the state to administer any vehicular laws but that is another argument.

bottom line, there are much less destructive means, ones that will not cause unnecessary financial hardship to the guy that was driving and will still get the point across. and like compuvision said, its easy for a cop to say you did something and you have very little defense against a cop said you said situation. much better solution would be to revoke registration for the vehicle, forcing the person to either take it off the street and be track only, or to sell the car to someone else. that along with the normal fines, license suspension and whatever.

and what happens if someone kills a person by street racing with a car that could have/should have been crushed? You guys are sounding like you think its ok for someone to go out and decide to break the law, especially one that could get several people killed!!! With a crime that has the possibility to permanently disfigure or kill several people, dont you think the punishment should be tough?

suspending a license or registration isnt always enough to keep a person from going out and racing.

Im sure you would feel differently if it was a friend or family member of yours that was hurt/killed by some idiot that was street racing and slid around a corner and hit them while they were shopping or hanging out with friends.

and what happens if someone kills a person by street racing with a car that could have/should have been crushed?

if they spent 10k buying an already modified car out of police impound or spent 10k on their yugo it wouldn't make a difference. if that person was going to do the deed the actual tools wouldn't matter as they would just find what they needed elsewhere.

don't get me wrong, i don't street race and I don't like people that do. I just don't think that the government seizing property is the correct action.

so the action is bad and has consequences, so do alot of things: people who speed up when the stop light turns yellow and run the red, people who pass more then one car at a time on a two lane road, people who speed in general, people who weave though traffic, and on and on.... All of these are prime examples of people who are breaking traffic laws intentionally. when they mess up they cause accidents and people die, do you see the man confiscating their cars? exactly.

put them in jail, revoke their licenses for insane amounts of time, put them on house arrest, make them do community service, have a fat fine whatever. There are lots of options.

This argument is over. You believe what you want and I believe as I do, we won't agree so we should just end it while we both are still friendly with each other. Go ahead, have the last word too.... :p

if they spent 10k buying an already modified car out of police impound or spent 10k on their yugo it wouldn't make a difference. if that person was going to do the deed the actual tools wouldn't matter as they would just find what they needed elsewhere.

don't get me wrong, i don't street race and I don't like people that do. I just don't think that the government seizing property is the correct action.

so the action is bad and has consequences, so do alot of things: people who speed up when the stop light turns yellow and run the red, people who pass more then one car at a time on a two lane road, people who speed in general, people who weave though traffic, and on and on.... All of these are prime examples of people who are breaking traffic laws intentionally. when they mess up they cause accidents and people die, do you see the man confiscating their cars? exactly.

put them in jail, revoke their licenses for insane amounts of time, put them on house arrest, make them do community service, have a fat fine whatever. There are lots of options.

This argument is over. You believe what you want and I believe as I do, we won't agree so we should just end it while we both are still friendly with each other. Go ahead, have the last word too.... :p

who says im friendly with you?:devil:

lol, just messin :p

you wouldnt be saying this if some butthead cop trying to save the world seen you doing 70 in a 55 zone and wrote you a ticket for street racing just cause he "can" , and they came to crush your car would you? be a whole different story than. they have no right to destroy your crap man , take your license , big fines like i said , you dont think a 10,000 dollar fine would make someone think as strongly about not racing as car crushing? the fact you justify it X astonishes me. you guys talk about your constitution? hahaha. your constitution hasnt meant crap for years now. and the last bit that survived was killed when they passed the patriot act.

Archived