Fixing Fugly Wheels.

Nice work there, hombre. It's amazing what some sandpaper and spray paint will do for some wheels. I did something similar though I didn't fully fix them up:

Before

100_0615.jpg

After

wheel2.jpg

Allowed me to sell them for twice as much and all it cost me was two cans of spray paint and some time sanding.

Good luck with your sale. They actually look worth buying now.

Billy...you naughty boy. You shall be beaten! Nah Kiddin', but you did a kick ass job on those wheels man. I may sand my Del sol wheels down and repaint them a different color. Any tips on sanding and what kind of paint to use?

If I were to redo my wheel-fixing experience I'd have them sandblasted. Then I'd sand with some low-grit sandpaper. Then I'd give them a couple coats of either Dupli-color wheel coating (what I used on my MR7s) or high-temp engine enamel, which is available in a wider variety of colors and will last just as long most likely.

Edit: Of course, if there's lots of curb rash on there you might wanna see about refinishing them in some way. Dunno about that -- paint will only mask it so much as you can see in my picture.

Sorry Billy, not to steal your thunder.

to get clearcoat off, i'd wetsand with mineral spirits with 400 grit sandpaper. (i didnt... just cleaned and dry sanded)

no reason to get wheels sandblasted.

unless you are anal.

i used duplicolor wheels paint. gunmetal. it doesnt chip easily even if i run my fingernail over it.

put over 3 coats on it.

you could use any paint you want, just have to use clearcoat if you dont use the wheel paint. it has a stage 1 clearcoat mixed with the paint.

Cool deal. I wanna get my stockies Sport Bronze. Haha I love bronze for some reason, think It looks good on Black And White.

Nice job on the wheels EBP.......lol......now I finally have some knowledge about how to refinish the wheels on my 2002 accord.

First, you do not sand blast wheels, you bead blast them.

Second, when you are spraying your wheels for the first time, you really don't have to go all out. Just clean them very well and sand them a little. They will last a good while.

Mine peel like crazy, quickly. I think that is because I've sprayed them and stripped them so much. The first time I did them they held for an extremely long time and withstood Buster, a harsh brake dust removing wheel cleaner. Once they started to fade, because of the Buster, I stripped them with lacquer thinner and sanded them, which worked decently. After that, I got lazy and when I changed colors or what not, I would use Airplane Stripper, which was probably a bad idea, then I sanded them, but not crazily. They didn't hold long, let alone through Buster. Pretty much I suggest getting wheels bead blasted if you are respraying wheels, unless you really want to take your time with the preparation, I am not patient and get bored easily, so I suggest that. Or just doing it right the first time and getting them powdercoated, spend almost as much painting them right as you do powdercoating them.

Hell, I would take the time to prepare the wheels right now if I had the money to get supplies, but I am broke as a joke thanks to getting laid off. The wheels were ready to get painted too, dismounted, ready to rumble. Hopefully kastigir pulls through!

Archived