Brakes

Grinding? That doesn't sound good, sounds like your rotors. If your pads are going bare, they squeak, generally. Rotors + brakes = cashmoney. I've used Wearever Silvers at the local Advanced Auto Parts and they work fine for me.

grinding doesn't necessarily mean its eating up your rotors but it is a sign of replacing new brake pads. i was grinding once but turns out my pads weren't completely gone yet but you should get it checked out. once your rotors are eaten by your bare brake pads, you either need to get your rotor resurfaced or get new rotors. resurfacing them is a lot cheaper though but you can only resurface them for a limited time. if it squeeks as you come to a stop then that means you need new brake pads...there is a medal bar that rubs against your rotors, thats what makes a squeeking noise.

ahhh...94 honda civic right?

its simple to replace the rotors, and relatively inexpensive. if you find the right place in town you should be able to pick up rotors and pads for under $100. generally.

i had to do this exact same thing no more than a month ago to my 95 civic. its simple. just make sure you get the right rotors...and don't...DON'T GO TO PEP BOYS!!!

all you have to do is take off your wheel (duh). take off the calipers...don't worry. sounds intimidating but its really simple to do. just a few bolts and its off. then take a impact wrench to the two screws that hold on your rotors, slide the rotor off, slide the new one on. put the new pads in the caliper (pushing back the piston is a bitch...and make sure your fluid resevior doesn't overflow.) put the caliper back on. bleed it a little bit (make sure no air gets in the line now) put your wheel back on and viola.

as for performance braking stuff. powerslot rotors, if you have a week to wait on shipping (which, if your grinding then you probably don't have a week :p ). i'm pretty sure summit racing sells them...if not check jc whitney or any other online shop (inlinefour.com? or is it net? darksaint knows) and they should run you about 100 bucks. make sure you get dustless pads too. a little more expensive, but they'll last longer and you won't get anymore brake dust on your wheels. its worth it.

need more help? look in the sig on how to get in touch with me, or just send me a pm. good luck 8)

heh...wow, that did sound easy enough...i mean, minus the intimidating terminology...but i wonder... hey buddysol...u think u can find a "how-to" w/ pictures? haha...

back on topic...so, not from pepboys? why not? what if i find the same brand in pep boys in another store? dont buy it?

thanx for ur input everyone...i feel like i'm actually learning stuff...

-Kirkus

i've had some bad experiences with pep boys. actually, all my experiences with pep boys has been bad. i bought lights from then and yesterday one of my high beams went out...only had em for like a month. bought brake rotors and pads from them, and they sold me the wrong rotors THREE times in a row...pissed me off. brake pads are find though (knock on wood :glare:) but if you like pep boys then go for it. i just HATE them now. lol. oh, and i got some fog lights from the earlier this week, installed them today and after pressing the on/off switch a few times the switch went dead and left the lights on. so i had to fiddle with the switch for like half an hour trying to get the lights to turn off...then disconnected the switch. now i'm gonna have to go back and trade in the switch (cause there is no way in hell i'm taking off my bumper again to put on those fog lights... :mad: )

but yeah, its all good. the rotors will probably cost you about 30 bucks a piece, and the pads should be about the same. i think thats what i paid. actually, come to think of it i had a hook up so you might have to pay a little more. but yeah, it won't cost that much, and its not hard to do.

buddysol might be able to find ya a how-to, i'll look really quick too and see if i can find something. but really all you need is a friend (or family member) who has done something relatively close to this before and you should be able to do it just fine. 8)

edit: ok, found a how-to that doesn't help much. here ya go: Installing cross drilled rotors

hey buddysol...u think u can find a "how-to" w/ pictures? haha...

Sorry bub...no luck in that department. I looked, but couldn't come up with anything solid. Then again I'm tired cause I was working out and I just want to lay in bed for the next couple days... :laugh:

i think i'm gonna go with the wearever parts...

darksaint- do you have wearever rotors or pads or both? and they doing ok for ya?

-Kirkus

I have stock rotors and Wearever Silvers for pads, I got the pads for approximately $20 for the fronts. Easy to install for me, they work as well as the ones I had before if not slightly better.

Archived