what exhaust mod is 4 me

delsoldan

So,

I just bought a 95 del sol s and I know nothing about them. I had a '88 conquest tsi and I knew how to get power with the turbo. but now no turbo so I have no clue. I am looking to make this a daily driver that is trouble free. and I just want to get a few more hp out of my little car. I Know that I need more air in so I bought a AEM short ram. And I know I need more air out. so my question is how much? I dont plan on hedders or high flow cat, I just want to know if a cat back is recomended, or should I just go with a big muffler and hope for the best.

if the cat back how big? 2",2 1/4", Bigger? I know we need back pressure so thats why I am asking. If I ask at a muffler shop they try to sell me things. and my mechanic just sent me to the muffler shop. then I found this site.

are there any other small mods that I should know about to get more power?

I will copy and paste what the leader of Team Del Sol of WA told me when I had the same question. My muffler and exhaust pipe was leaking and I was unsure what to do.

If you like the quiet sound of a stock system and it was me I'd just go for a DOHC VTEC exhaust and replace the b-pipe (from the cat to the axle back) and then the axle back with the DOHC VTEC muffler. It's bigger then the SOHC VTEC and is made of stainless steel so no more problems with rust from the S, SI aluminum/mild steel exhaust (S,Si is 1 5/8 vers 2 inch on the DOHC VTEC and it fits to the stock cat on both the S and Si versions). Better then going with a aftermarket cat back (2 1/4-2 1/2 inch exhaust) (to big even for the DOHC VTEC for power in the mid range where you drive most of the time anyway) or from a shop that will weld the thing together so next time you have to replace the whole thing. O and it would cost less then a cat-back too.

Just my thoughts and 2¢ on replacing it.

Geo

President

Team Sol of Washington

Hope this helps ya out.

Thanks guys, that answers my question. now where can I get a cat back from a dohc vtec? also I saw that dynomax sells a 2" catback system but it says it only works on the 1.6 and not the 1.5 that I have. Is there realy that big of a diffrence between the two exhaust set ups? I ask because I love dynomax mufflers.

I know. thats why I spent the money on the AEM intake. I think that if I leave the cat and manifold alone i can pass with a cat back. I clamped together some pipes on my old chevy LUV and it passed just fine. so I dont think bolt on 2" pipe with turbo muffler will mess me up. if it does I will keep the stock to do a swap. the guy I got it from just regesterd and smoged it so it's good for 2 years.

back to my question. will that set up fit on my car? (the 1.6 only thing). If not where can I get the DOHC one?

You can shop around for 2" piping..whether or not you retain the cat is up to you.. The piping would be easy to find, could be found on ebay..local exhaust shop..wherever you wanna' look.

The B pipe from a DOHC VTEC should bolt right up to the stock cat on an S model. I would try Craigslist first for a parts car or just google different parts sites. I have wondered about the bolt on kits....as long as you keep the cat intact I can't see how it would not pass emissions inspections....CARB or no CARB approval.

ok,

I have looked everywhere!!!!!!!!! I can not find a 2" catback anywhere. right now I would settle for an axleback/flangeback with a high flow muffler that I can just bolt on. I am on a TIGHT budget. so I was wondering if any other year civic flangback system works on des sol s's. I found a few on ebay that look like they would fit but I just want to know. Are 2.25" catbacks way to big? I found 1 or 2 that I could afford. but I don't want to kill my mid range performance. its a daily driver. I dont care about it being to loud. I like to anoy people :- . plus the cops around here dont care. :laugh:

ok, I like this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TENRAI-S-S-...sspagenameZWDVW

with a stock manifold, and cat, and keeping on the silencer will this mess up my performance? (Low, mid high)?

I dont care about sound. I can handel it for a while. if I HATE it i will cut off the fart can and put somthing else on later.

I JUST WANT BETTER FLOW NOW!!. I can hear the intake sucking air in but it gets lost with that straw they call an exhaust pipe

I know, I am scared about ebay stuff. but I googled every thing I could think of and there is only about 6 kits out there by names I have heard of. and 4 are over $400, one is the pacesetter crap for $2XX shipped and one is the dynomax that I posted above. I dont think it comes with a resenator so I would have to cut mine and clamp from there. then if I cant smog or hate it or what ever I am screwd. if I buy a used muffler from a junk yard just to have the flangeback pipe to clamp to, it will cost me almost as much as that crap and might last just as long. do you get the pic of my prob. other then rust which dosent happen much here and a crappy sounding muffler, what else could go wrong with this setup?

Archived