RESOLVED: Classifieds question

Excellent idea. Newer posters with under 50 posts CANNOT start new topics in the classified section. This is the rule on the DSM forum I visit occasionally.

Many of you know that we have a Classifieds section here at DSMtalk. Only those members who have been registered for at least 90 days and have at least 50 posts were supposed to be allowed to post in there. However, we had an ineffective permissions structure where users who did not meet the requirements were able to view and post in those sections.

The rules were in place to foster trust in the Classifieds. With users in there who had signed up only to access the Classifieds, there was a greater risk of scammers and untrustworthy folks with whom many legitimate users have had problems.

We have recently put a new permissions structure in place and now only those users who should have access, do. If you were able to view the Classifieds before and cannot now, please participate in the forums with useful discussion and you will have access to the Classifieds before you know it. Be warned, however, that post-whoring to reach the 50 post minimum will result in a permanent ban. The mod team watches for these trends and will show you no quarter if you have been caught post-whoring.

There are NO exceptions to the Classifieds posting requirements. I will not respond to PMs about exceptions to this rule.

yea, but as someone pointed out previously, the worst of the spammers just post in any random section and don't bother to post in the right area anyway.

it isn't hard for a mod to move a post.

i think the sit rules should be stickyed in every forum. not just some of them.

also, maybe a message could be displayed everytime a trial memeber goes to post?

something about the right section, dead threads, etc?

any ideas?

it isn't hard for a mod to move a post.

i think the sit rules should be stickyed in every forum. not just some of them.

also, maybe a message could be displayed everytime a trial memeber goes to post?

something about the right section, dead threads, etc?

any ideas?

No, it's not hard to move a post. However, the point of the discussion was that people who come here only to spam and move on don't care to find the appropriate forum to post in (classifieds). Therefore, he/she posts in any other given forum, so the minimum 50 post requirement in the classifieds does nothing to stop or prevent that.

Even in the forums that a rules thread is stickied, the rules are broken.

Having a message displayed would be a good idea, if it would work. Truth is, it wouldn't. It's no different than the TOS that you agree to when you join the board. Do you take the time to read every word of the agreement before clicking the button saying that you agree to it? Doubtful. Having a message would go like that, where it would not be read; it may also end up that a user wouldn't be used to having such a prompt before his/her post goes through, and would think that after clicking the submit button, his/her post would go through and may close the window/tab -- causing no post to go through at all.

In other news, related to this thread, there is now a rule where 50 posts are required to use the classifieds forum. I don't know the exact details at this time (ie, whether it's only for creating a new thread, or for posting at all). No information was really divulged regarding this, so that's all I can tell you at this time. As others have noticed, this process is not yet automated. Therefore, any user is still capable of posting in the classifieds, and it's up to us moderators to manually remove the threads / posts that violate this rule.

people still post in the classifieds.

also, if a messaged is displayed EVERY time they post they'd eventually read it.

tos is there once.

Yes, people post in the classifieds. Spammers usually don't, as their "job" is to hit as many forums as possible (or they tend to be bots), so they don't bother looking to see where it should go and place it in one of the first few forums listed. They're never coming back, so it doesn't matter where it's placed.

If a message is displayed every time, then it'll be that much easier to block it out and pay no attention to it.

I have no idea why this thread is still "alive", as a conclusion was reached. For those who missed it, it's in my post above, or:

In other news, related to this thread, there is now a rule where 50 posts are required to use the classifieds forum. I don't know the exact details at this time (ie, whether it's only for creating a new thread, or for posting at all). No information was really divulged regarding this, so that's all I can tell you at this time. As others have noticed, this process is not yet automated. Therefore, any user is still capable of posting in the classifieds, and it's up to us moderators to manually remove the threads / posts that violate this rule.

Archived