Sleeving the Block

Hey guys I need to know about sleeving a B18A1 block. I'm looking at some serious hp....say 400fwhp. I need to know if I'm running a turbo do you think I should sleeve the block or take the chance and just build the bottom end? For that kind of hp # I'm probably going to have to run around 18-20 psi. Any suggestions? I want this car to be VERY reliable....Something I can still drive to the track and not have to trailer it.

YES.

sleeve it, it's an A1 so it's old, and 18-20 lbs of boost is a lot.

I say bore it out to a 2.0L and have it sleeved by Golden Eagle w/ some over-sized low comp pistons and boost the f*ck out of it.

anyway....my answer is yes.

Sleeving is sleeving..it's just proper installation and all that you'll need to worry about. I'd go with CP Pistons and Eagle rods though.

Probably an 84mm bore.

I want to stay at the stock bore. More than likely I'll go back with JE pistions on this one too unless something changes my mind otherwise between now and then. But I'll have the sleeving done at a reputable machine shop in this area. Anyone know of a real good place where I can buy the sleeves?

Wow a $1000. Man the maachine shop around here did my buddy's 302 for that much. And you have to figure that's four more cylinders they have to buy the sleeves for, bore and then sleeve. I figure I'll get out for $500-$600. Hopefully at least. Maybe less if I buy the sleeves myself. Appreciate it guys!

Yea.

Pretty much, you're boring into the block. It's a little something called creating more displacement.. something a Honda really doesn't do.

At least, not much.

No this was bored and sleeved. Trust me I've done enough engines to know the difference. I've been building engines since I was 12. No calling you guys out or anything but this 302 had one NASTY shot of nitrous on it. If he wouldn't have sleeved it it would have never held...I'm talking right below the 500 mark. But yes it was also bored .030 over which makes it a 306. That does mean bigger dispacment. I thought I read somewhere that you can bore a B18 over like 3mm or something. Go from a 81mm to an 84...Is that not right?

No this was bored and sleeved. Trust me I've done enough engines to know the difference. I've been building engines since I was 12. No calling you guys out or anything but this 302 had one NASTY shot of nitrous on it. If he wouldn't have sleeved it it would have never held...I'm talking right below the 500 mark. But yes it was also bored .030 over which makes it a 306. That does mean bigger dispacment. I thought I read somewhere that you can bore a B18 over like 3mm or something. Go from a 81mm to an 84...Is that not right?

That's..pretty tough to see.. being as.. generally..your average 302 blocks begin to crack at right around the 500chp mark.

Archived