Custom car insurance

Toy Civic

In the domestic and classic muscle car genre, there is classic car insurance to cover the increasing value of 30 + year old vehicles.

What about modern cars and imports from 1990 and newer? How are custom cars valued for insurance purposes? How do insurance companies or appraisers assess the value? If you have an older Civic that may only have a bluebook of $3000-$5000 depending on year and condition, but have lots of money invested in upgrades and mods, how do most insurance companies cover this kind of car in the event of a loss?

I have State Farm and they tell me, but never give anything in writing, that if I have receipts, pics, and documentation, that I will be FULLY covered. I am the original owner of a 1995 Civic coupe with over $20,000 in mods and upgrades. This car is documented to the hilt.

if you have receipts and pics of everything that is good. you can take your car to an official appraiser and then bring that paper to your insurance company, and they can base your plan off of that

Yeah, like airjordan said, I'm pretty sure you'd need to take it to an appraiser first and have them give the value of your car from there. Then you could get insurance for that value.

Edit: When you do get this, please post the exact process. I am curious.

Archived