12 valve twin carb engine

greg_3821

Hello,

I came accross a second gen honda prelude that is in very good condition exept for it has a suposed broken timing belt, the guy wants 300$ for the car and has all the paperwork, and i am mechanicly inclined ( i built a custom 1.8T and dropped it in my '87vw GTI)....what i was mainly wondering is if the engine in that prelude is an interferance engine or not? if it is, that this to much work and money in a head job that i dont want to mess with, but if it isnt then i'm snapping up that car in and instant...

also, anything you guys can tell me about that car and its its possible issues i should watch out for would be verymuch appreciated

thx, -greg

Greg,

I bought an 87 Prelude a couple months ago and I have been nursing it back to health.

I'm sure that the 12 valve 1.8L engine is an interference engine.

I bought mine for $250.00 off of E-bay - I figured even if I have to put an engine in it that I'd have a

fuel efficient travelling car. I travel a lot !

Mine only had a blown head gasket - I found the timing belt in decent shape on mine.

Once I had the head checked and surfaced - then I installed a new head gasket and a new timing

belt. I fired it off and it literally blew clouds of white smoke for 45 minutes. The muffler and Cat must have been full of anti-freeze.

It kept over-heating until I installed a new radiator cap - it's been fine ever since.

I've now driven it for 3000 miles and I trusted it enough to make a 1000 mile round trip last week.

I averaged about 31 mpg and this car loves the left lane. 80 mph is a good cruising speed in 5th

gear. I have sirius radio, a CB and a radar detector that keeps me informed.

Had new tires installed this morning - grand total of my daily driver - $700.00

The engine had 231,000 miles on it and it runs like new - It has not used any oil and it don't smoke

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed ! :D

If I'm not mistaken all Honda engines are interference engines. If somebody knows for sure they can correct me on that. Only thing I can say is pull the head and see. When did the timing belt break? At cruising speed or idle?

If I'm not mistaken all Honda engines are interference engines. If somebody knows for sure they can correct me on that. Only thing I can say is pull the head and see. When did the timing belt break? At cruising speed or idle?

I also think that they are all interference engines - just didn't want to appear stupid.

Any engine with an external rubber timing belt will be an interference engine IMO.

I've been wrong before though

Archived