just got 17's now I need some advice for lowering

Hey all,

Let me start out by saying that I've been lurking around on this forum for some time and I made my decision based alot on what you all have been saying. So thanks for the advice so far!

I just got some 17" wheels on my Accord with the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires. I love it! Now I need a little more help. The modification bug has bitten me. I want to lower my ride a little to get rid of some of that unsightly wheel gap. And I need to know what I'm in for here. What kind of kits do you all recommend? How much can I expect to spend if I buy the kit online (or local) and have someone else install it? How much can I lower it without having to worry about speed bumps? And anything else any of you think I need to be asking...

Some Qualifications:

I do not want to spend alot of money here. How much is "not alot" some of you may ask? Let's just say that I am "thrifty." Total cost for new tires and rims was $700.00 at Just Tires. And that was only because I couldn't find anything legally cheaper. I am not planning on racing my car around town or otherwise stressing it out. And the roads around here are well maintained so I do not need a "top of the line" kit. What I'm looking for here is several recommendations covering a range from "cheap, lowball, miser" to "medium."

Once again, thanks for all the input on this forum.

Sorry all,

Just a little side note here. I just purchased the Eibach pro-kit springs off of ebay ($172). I've heard some conflicting reports since then. A couple of my friends say that is all I need to lower my car. I just talked to the manager of "Just Tires" where I got the new wheels. He is telling me that I need (hope I am spelling this right) a "cambi" kit and new struts. He says that without the "cambi" kit, I will wear out my tires 25% faster. I was told by several shops that I only needed this kit if I was dropping the car 2" or more for my make and model car. The Eibach pro-kit is only supposed to drop the car by 1.2"

So. should I get the "cambi" kit? Also, can I use the stock struts on my car or should I pony up the money for new ones?

Any input would be appreciated!

I think your referring to a camber kit. Even with a 1.2" drop you'll be getting some camber, and your tires will wear unevenly. The camber kit will fix that for you, Ingall's is a pretty decent kit. EDIT: then again, I'm not sure how low you can go on an Accord before your out of the factory specs on camber.

I'd recommend getting shocks, cause if your gonna lower your car you might as well do it right the first time. Your stock shocks weren't meant to work with aftermarket springs. Your ride is going to suffer, and you pretty much lose handling performance, and in the end you have blown shocks. Look into Koni or KYB for shocks.

Thanks for the info, BuddySol!

I am already looking into getting some new shocks. Would you recommend any one brand over the other as far as providing a more comfortable ride?

As for the camber kit (thanks for the correction), I have heard differing opinions. One mechanic told me I would not need the kit for the amount I was dropping the car, and another told me the first guy was full of it. Then the manager of Just Tires told me they weren't that expensive, and I should just go ahead and do it. I think I'm inclined to agree. If it won't hurt anything and possibly keep anything from getting torn up...might as well.

Also, can you tell me anything about the struts? Do I need to use different ones or can I use the stock struts already on my Accord? Thanks for the advice :D

for a 1.2'' drop you probably won't need it that much on an accord. your tires are going to wear a little faster on the insides, but it won't be a HUGE amount. but if you think that it would be best to just go ahead and get the camber kit you might as well. in the end it will end up saving you money in tires...but it'll take a long time to pay for itself.

your stock struts should be fine for it, if you don't want to get aftermarket ones. but its like buddysol said, they will give you a less comfy ride, and your handleing will suffer a bit. it should be fine, but you might as well get aftermarket ones for the hell of it.

i plan on lowering my car in the next couple months and i'm just going to get springs, then shocks later on down the road when i can get what i want. TEINS BABY!!!

every car is diff.. if you drop your car as little as....oh say...1", then you wont need a camber kit...just an alignment. when you drop your car too low (the word too low all depends on the stock height which is diff in all cars) then you'll need a camber kit b/c you will be riding on a negative camber.

Archived