roll call for dead trannies...

We're trying to figure out how full of crap Acura is with their "only 2% of trannies have been affected" estimation, and I noticed that y'all don't seem to have many discussions about this issue...

If you've had a tranny replaced, or are currently waiting on your slippage becoming recreatable enough for the dealership to order you one, just say "aye".

Personally, we're on our 3rd tranny replacement in 2 cars, the 2nd replacement for this TL with 20K miles on it. If you use the 2% rule, the probablility of this happening to any one person is about .0008%. We're trying to get a handle on how large the problem is, just among the vocal web crowd.

Surely someone has something to say on this subject...

I spoke to Acura's customer service regional manager (whatever THAT title means) today, and he was telling me that HIS numbers say 1.6% of all the trannies have had problems. If you just take a sampling of the people I talk to every day, that's about 10 times below reality.

Hi Mandi,

I'll make this a sticky. I went to a TL/CL meet last week and talked to a guy who had his tranny replaced in under 20k miles. He said it happens on 99 models or so. This is a serious issue and acura is trying to deny this problem...don't worry, I'll make this a sticky.

I have had no problems with my tranny and mine sits on the ground everyday.

S.jpg

Yours is an RL, which isn't affected by the CL/TL/Passport/Odyssey/Accord/Prelude problem, which began in the 2000 model year. ;)

And Mark - you don't have to worry about making it sticky. It's not a big deal.

Our CL replacement happened at about 23K miles; the first one for the TL happened at 9K miles, and it now has 20K miles on it and is sitting in the shop.

Some of the guys have had theirs replaced 3 and 4 times, in the same car.

• 9 months later...
my friends cl had problems and tranny was replaced cannot remember the model year though... either a 2000 or 2001... pretty sure it was 2000. anyways i was driving it and it sort of got stuck in neutral if you got it past 4 grand... does that make sense... it was replaced free of charge though and his warranty had expired.

sorry didn't realize how ancient this thread was... :laugh: anyways

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure if I'm a little late. (New member as of 10 minutes ago)

I have a 2001 EL and have joined the 2nd transmition club. I didn't realize it was such a wide spread problem till I read your post. I thought I should mention in interest of your poll. (FYI - when outside temp. fell below -10 celcius would not drive. Walked around the car a couple of times to see if a block of wood was placed under tires while I was parked overnight. After first time I just got used to a good warm up prior to use. Dealer was great about no hastle replacement. I guess they knew what you knew! )

i think honda transmissions suck compared to toyotas and such. just my opinion.. someone told me that whoever produced the late model honda/acura tranny used cheap parts so thats why there are a lot of tranny failures now.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Drew unpinned this topic

Archived