Pyro's new project

Pyrorocketeer

Man, I seriously need to impose on someone on HF to help me paint my car with their fancy compressors and gravity-fed spray guns.....

Haha. Excited to see how this all turns out, man. Keep it up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you wanted to travel to central Pa, I'd be willing to help ya out. If its a solid color, I'd be more than willing to help, but metallics I'm still kinda iffy about. I need some more practice to get everything to lay correctly.

It would have to be in the summer (no heat in our "spray booth") and after we are done with this project, but sure I'd be willing to help.

Would this be a simple "scuff and spray" or some body work involved?

John-if you wanted to take him up on that you can chill at my house before you go all the way to central PA....i'd even tag along if ya caught me on the right day.

i'd like to see that paint process....

Pyrocketeer-i want my car re-sprayed or roller-painted black, could you do that?

I can prep, that's no problem...once again, i understand in the summer.

i can bring mucho $$$$ if ya want lol

Yeah, cold weather sucks. We should have an HF PA meet in the summer and 90 and I can get our car's fixed/painted. We can hang out and do the prep/repairs and then drive up to see the main with the paint (and the sweet Beetles).

He's goin' black and I wanna go dark grey. But I have some things I wanna do before I lay down the clear...

I hate working out in the cold, but all I have is my car port outside of my garage at the moment.....

I really wanna build a heated single garage/down draft spray booth in the near future, but don't quite have the funds for it yet.

TsJohn and 90

Only thing I hate is painting engine bays..... unless then engine is out. I would really love to know how the pro's paint them with the engine in, cause I really can't figure it out to look professional afterwards....

What else did you have in mind TsJohn for the basecoat? I say this, because you have to shoot clear right after base, else you have to re-scuff the whole car..... which sucks.

Too much school work to do, so nothing done tonight... but I did order some stuff....

A new air drier. (damn these things can get expensive!)

airfilter.jpg

Pressure regulator

air_pressure_regulator_01.jpg

And a 23 piece gun cleaning kit

TAIA0285.jpg

all for under $60

Pans will be here Friday, and I still don't have the frame ready!

I better get crack-a-lackin!

The cheap one is for my rust preventative. This stuff ruins anything it touches, so I got a cheap gun.

The one is for high solids clear, and base, and the other gun is for primer.

can't use one for both primer, and base/clear because of nozzle sizes. They only offer the large nozzles for their primer gun, and the small tips for their finish guns.

All are hvlp.

TsJohn and 90

Only thing I hate is painting engine bays..... unless then engine is out. I would really love to know how the pro's paint them with the engine in, cause I really can't figure it out to look professional afterwards....

you won't even have to worry about that with my car...while the engine and trans are out for the lsvtec, i'll be in there cleaning, hand cutting, waxing, and sealing every square inch of the engine bay. it's just getting re-sprayed the oem honda black, so it's not like it wouldn't match or anything.

also, since I have a CF hood, you won't need to paint that either.

everything else will be prepped and ready to go if you wanna do it for some $$$

Almost the same deal with mine. I'll have a CF hood/trunk by then and most of my roof will be sunroof at that point. Engine bay I'm not too worried about... I mean, come on, man! I was gonna roller paint it before....

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I've been busy recently studying for exams so....

Yeah, I have some stuff I wanna spray on the side of it. I don't wanna give away details cuz I'm sure certain people on here will hate on it, but here is an example of the style of artwork that will be on there:

This guy is really good.

Update as promised!

it was like christmas when I came home from work today!

NEW pans!!! woo hooo, the first NEW part!

pans003.jpg

And all the hardware, which I won't use half of....lol

pans005.jpg

Aaaannnnddddd........

got my air dryer today, so my sandblaster won't keep clogging up with damp sand.

pans002.jpg

Also got my bearings for my turbo, and my paint guns, which i can't have till christmas.

I was tired of studying for finals, so I decided to head out to the garage for a bit.

Installed my new air drier, and to test it out, I used this....

Man is this tool here handy for sheet metal repairs. one side is a crimper that makes a flange so you can weld on a patch panel, and the other a hole punch. Thats so you can make holes for "spot welds".

pans014.jpg

Thats what I did about an inch apart, the whole way along the pan.

pans009.jpg

yes, I agree cranny. also its easier than spending hundreds on a new tool too!

more boredom....... So I relieved that by messin with some power tools!

pans017.jpg

pans015.jpg

prepped the holes with the flap disc and now they are ready to weld on.

then went out and took some measurements for later tonight if I get bored again, and want to weld the pans on.

Lol 2 almost pointless posts in a few hours.....i must be really bored.

dont be scared to run a bead here and there edge wise either pyro , i dont like the idea of plug welds only. just me i guess , lol. dont wanna be fred flintstoneing it , hahaha.

LOL this one is gettin sold when I'm done with it!

the welds were plenty strong when I did my last pan (on my car). On it I might have put double what was on there stock, so it shouldn't be a problem. Plus it is bolted on on the outside to the bottom of the body.

Archived