Pyro's new project

Pyrorocketeer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol nah, I'm nowhere near 40 yet.

Actually cranny, if the body is in really bad condition, once we sandblast, then it will become a dune buggy.

I'm really hoping that it isn't too bad. There is just a bunch of halfass jobs the PO did with patch panels and such.

Tomorrow I'm going to the hardware store, and getting some fittings, so I can make my own sandblaster, instead of buying one of those overpriced pieces of junk. Instead I'm making one out of an old propane tank lol

Oh, don't worry I'll post pics too!

Well today I did a little more rippin and tearin apart, since i don't yet have much sand for my new homemade sandblaster. Here is a pic I took, before I welded legs on.

Day4005.jpg

She works just like one of the expensive ones, at only a fraction of the cost.....

I read the one thread on here about removing your brakes, because they are just added weight, so I did exactly that. About 30 lbs of weight in those 4 buggers.

Day4003.jpg

Lol nah I took them off and apart to blast them up, and powercoat them, as soon as more powder comes in.

Also took apart pedal assembly.

once that was done, I finished removing the stubborn tar from my center tunnel with a wire wheel

Day4004.jpg

thats all for today I think....

Yet another afternoon worth of work..... only 2 pics today tho

Took off front beam and rear end.

Day5002.jpg

Finished cleaning up what was left of the pans with an air chistle, and took off spring plates, and torsion bars, and this is all I'm left with.....

(it was getting a little dark, sorry about that)

Day5005.jpg

Now I have a bunch of parts that need sand blasted, for when the powdercoat comes mid next week.

Speaking of "painting" I think i've found out what I want for Christmas this year....

ACCCP-400.jpg

Set of Accuspray hvlp paint guns. One for base & clear, and the other for primer. They are professional guns, and I've heard a few good things about them, so I thought I'd see how they sprayed vs what I'm used to, Devilbiss guns semi "cheap" guns, but work pretty well.

A little update for ya'll.

Little bored tonight, so while my brother was sandblasting, I started rippin into that 1600dp we took out of the bug.

Day6002.jpg

all that I will need off of that engine, is the case, crank, rocker assembly, a few engine tins, and valve covers.... lol

I think these are some of the weirdest looking pressure plates

Day6001.jpg

Day6004.jpg

eh....what do ya expect from a 50 year old head..., just a little rust and corrosion

carb, distributor, wires, and a few engine tins loose, and I gave up for the night.....

Day6008.jpg

More engine tear down pics tomorrow! :D

Well, while I was at school today, my brother "finished" tearing down the engine for me. I hope he remembers where it all goes lol. We didn't have problems with the last one, so prolly won't have any this time.

anyways he removed the fan shroud, and found a few critters living in there lol

Removed heads. Little carbon but all in all, not too bad.

Day7009.jpg

First look at the condition of the pistons, and cylinders. Is it bad when one cylinder is full of rust....not just a little rust, but like rust falls out when you take a head off?

Day7007.jpg

Look at that!!! those pistons almost look brand new!

Day7013.jpg

If none have you have saw what leaded gasoline does to an engine.....here ya go...

SLUDGE!!!

Day7015.jpg

These next two images are the icing on the cake..... damn mag case deteriorated over all these years....

Sigh....that case is shot....

Day7017.jpg

Day7016.jpg

Well you know what that means! Time to rip apart another engine to see if we can find a usable case!

If you were wondering.... we are gonna burn that scrap case, once we remove all the internals, and I will definitely post pics!

Powder coat came in today, so maybe I'll have some time to coat a few brake backing plates and/or pedals this evening.

I thought about building up a Porsche engine for in there like we did with the rail. But we would need different cooling, and rig up someway to have heater boxes still (vw's get their heat from the exhaust if some of you didn't know) and overall the build would be about $1500 more. If I were going to keep the car, then yes it would be porsche, but since I'm not, I'm sticking with the stock case for an easy build.

All we needed was the case and a few of the internals for my build anyways. kinda makes me mad about my case tho..... oh well....

No your right cranny, it was an option in I forget what years. But also they had the heat from the exhaust to heat the cabin. Most of your late model beetles had the option, but I dont know how early that went.

got a little more work done tonight, didn't wanna start on another engine, so I just sandblasted and powder coated instead.

500* Preheat, made them turn funny colors

Day7.jpg

And there you have it, 4 gloss black brake backing plates.

I'd say they turned out pretty good

Day7-1.jpg

i cant beleve there not rusted more than that , if that was sitting here for that long where i live , youd need grissom off CSI to find it , cause it would be dust , hahaha. leaded gasoline isnt so much what makes your oil go like that pyro , just technology in the oil itself. leaded gasoline was better for engines , lubricates as well , more bang , lots more bang actually , but as we all know , harmful to mother earth. NASCAR still runs leaded fuel , im almost certain. thats how they get 800 horse out of a smallblock running a restrictor plate.

The sludge was gray before the rust fell in it, but it is because of leaded gasoline. It just deposits in the engine and makes for some nasty lead sludge. It is still used in Nascar for lubrication and anti-knock (dunno if it works) but it is soon to be outlawed as soon as they come up with a substitute.

Well today after work I came home to a suprise.... Instead of sending me my cv cage (lifetime warranty) like the company said they would, they sent me 2 BRAND NEW CV JOINTS!!!!! I was shocked as hell that they replaced one $15 part with 2 $50 parts!

anyways.... I did a little more work on the bug

I wheeled in the transaxle into my garage to tear apart.

Day8.jpg

Ripped it apart to be blasted, then coated tomorrow night.

took out axles, axle tubes, bearings, seals, the whole works.

Day8001.jpg

Then I blasted and powder coated my springplates.

I'm gettin better and better at baking parts with each set I do.

(all the divots were rust spots)

Day8002.jpg

Then to conclude the night we took a spin in the rail. (bro installed cv while I was doing that stuff) And well.... it was runnin like a champ, until we bottomed the engine out on a tree limb that fell on the ground....

Not too much damage,..... smashed a tube on my header, and broke 3 welds :mad: ....

Oh well....nothing the Hobart can't fix...:thumbsup:

Not too much work done yesterday, just sandblasted and coated both axle tubes.

Day9004.jpg

Turned out pretty nice i'd say. Just a few more parts left, and the rear end is finished.

Most of yesterday was spend looking at different options for engines and such.

I've decided i'm going to put in a gas heater, like in the late models, but put it under the rear seat for a clean hidden install. About $50 for one in decent shape. This will leave room for more options engine wise. I'm thinking of a type 4 powerplant out of a bus. ~100hp 120 ft lbs with all the reliability, if not more than stock.

Plus will up the value of the car about 2 grand. :D

me and my buddy are starting restore or a 90's not sure which , toyota truck. 22RE engine. 5spd. will have some pics later on through the week if we get started on time. ill start a new thread.

not much of an update, but still

got my new paint gun in the mail today. This one is for spraying my rustproofing. 12$ ebay special LOL.

It sprays pretty damn well too!

Newgun.jpg

Since I'm on the topic of paint guns, I ordered my base clear and primer guns this afternoon

ACCCP-400.jpg

:D:D

Also I ordered my pans today.... $275 shipped

Archived