4.7 final drive....

thats how many times your counter shaft turns vs. your differential. think of it like 2 pullys jordan , one big diameter pully , one small diameter pully with a belt. for every turn of the big pully , the little pully made 4.4. get me? the higher the final drive number , the higher you rev on the highway at the same speed.

is it something you can adjust once you get it, like if youre going through the gears too quickly, or would you have to get 4.4 or something. i noticed it was about 500 bucks for 4.7, anyone have it, is it worth it?

would make your car go through the gears like a scolded cat , but once you ran out of gears , ie , highway , lol , youd rev prolly , and im guessing , 3500 rpm at least at 65 mph.

year / engine / 1st / 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th / reverse / final drive

92-95 D16Z6 - 3.250 , 1.900 , 1.250 , 0.909 , 0.702 , 3.153 , 4.250

92-95 D15B7 - 3.250 , 1.762 , 1.172 , 0.909 , 0.702 , 3.153 coupe/sedan FD: 4.058 , HatchFD: 3.888

92-95 D15B8 - 3.250 , 1.761 , 1.066 , 0.853 , 0.702 , 3.153 , 3.250

D15Z1

as you can see , the B7 has lower numbers , meaning taller gears. so what you could do is this , put B7 2nd and 3rd gears in your tranny. since you can turn those gears easily. or put your final drive in a B7 tranny. mix and match basically to get an ideal setup. this is all SSR does , with his trannys he "builds".

its combo of both. final drive , and each individual gear. each gear has 2 sprockets. one on the mainshaft , one on the counter. so looking at the shafts with main on the left and counter on the right pointing up. starting at the bottom , mainshaft has first gear(small diameter) , on top of that is 2nd gear(bigger diameter than 1st). on top of 2nd is 3rd(bigger diameter again). than 4th on top of that(bigger again diameter). than 5th biggest diameter on the mainshaft.

now the counter shaft , same thing bottom up , your pinion gear(the gear that the ring gear on the differential rides on , ill mention it later)1st gear(biggest diameter on the countershaft , remember 5th is biggest on the main , the opposite). on top of 1st is reverse(most honda trannies have the same reverse ratio) , than 2nd gear (smaller diameter than 1st) , than 3rd(smaller diameter) , 4th so on so forth 5th being smallest on the countershaft. tons of bearings and collars in between.

when you pull your shifter , it locks the 2 corresponding gears together on the main and countershaft. think of it like a derailer on a 10 speed , the gears on the hub are different diameters. now besides all that , lol , theres another ratio involved. the diameter of the pinion(or in honda trannys , the gear the differential rides on , very small diameter , smallest on countershaft) located on the countershaft , vs. the diameter of the ring gear on your differential , which is huge diameter , biggest in the tranny. so your 4.4 final drive , means the pinion gear on the countershaft is turning 4.4 times , for every 1 turn of the ring gear , or your wheels. well i think thats what that number 4.4 means , might be a measurement of some kind , ive never looked it up so if im wrong on that one piece of info , go crap in your hat sam , lol. i just take em apart and fix em , lol , only numbers matter to me is the ones i get paid for doing it , haha , no im lying , i love these little 4 bangers man.

Dude cranny cut it out with that quote unquote crap. SSR does build trannys. If you take a D16 with a D17 crank and different pistons and headwork you'd call it built too. Thats exactly what SSR does. He puts new gears in and changes some things around with the internals. I don't want to post exactly what he does, because he might not want it out in the open, but theres about four or five things he does for his trannys' internals.

Good info, cranny. I can't wait to build my transmission. I can't decide if I wanna run full speed towards your frankenstein D series build and try to get it done this summer or if I wanna do all my bolt-ons and build a transmission and use my B7 till it's dead, then do your build.

not a bad idea really ts , mine as well drive it for a year and work on getting some crap done to your car like the tranny as you mentioned , than when you build your engine , alot of stuff will be done to make it more fun of a car. plus just changing your ratios in your tranny will make the car a bit faster anyways. i mean its not like your engine is on its last leg.

soooo if i wanted to get through 1st through 4th faster yet have a nice highway cruising FD, I could take a B16 trans and swap in a LS 5th for the highway???

If so, how hard is it?

Also, how hard is it to install LSD?

i wouldnt call it easy 90 , since you have to remove tranny , split the case. take out the shafts. you have to pull the gears off the main and countershafts. lucky thing is , 5th gears are the first ones you come to , if they were the last youd have to completely strip the shafts down. a gear puller is required for this. set the new gears on the shafts , reinstall.

as far as LSD differential goes , couldnt be any easier , except for the taking tranny out and splitting it apart again , lol. take the shafts out of the tranny , and the differential pulls right out. youl need to take the ring gear off the old diff and bolt it to the new one. when you buy an LSD diff , it doesnt come with a final drive ring gear on it.

MFactory isn't $500...

I have a 4.71 in my trans.

I don't just swap out gears. There are things I do to the internals which makes it reliable for road-racing and also grabs harder.

You don't need a gear puller to get the gears off.

I drove up to sohcvtece's house (he is outside of Detroit, I'm an hour east of Knoxville) at 80mph. I was around 4,000 RPM and still got 35mpg.

You can shorten up 3-4-5 on D series but not 1-2. The FD will shorten up the 1-2. Only way to lower the RPM in 5th with a FD in a D is with a .695 5th, which isn't much different from the stock .702.

Installing an LSD isn't hard, but it id very tedious and time consuming (checking clearances and shimming). I can put 8 hours on an LSD install alone, not including the rest of the trans assembly.

Archived