Exhaust Rattle

raz

At idle in the morning when car is cold..there is a loud rattle..sounds like the rear bumper or something hitting the exhaust..not real sure. I looked. seems tight. Then while driving it happens loud at around 4k rpm. any idea what else it could be?

Yea, I had a similar problem awhile back and it turns out that a mounting bracket didn't allow any movement so finally it just broke and then the muffler started to rattle and it melted a little part of my back bumper.

So does anyone know where i can get one of those brackets?? just a basic auto parts store? and i checked the cat its not that...the sound is in the rear of the car>

At idle in the morning when car is cold..there is a loud rattle..sounds like the rear bumper or something hitting the exhaust..not real sure. I looked. seems tight. Then while driving it happens loud at around 4k rpm. any idea what else it could be?

check the bearing thats between the mid pipe and the cat, if it doesnt spin smoothly youll need to get another one. try pep zone or auto boys, they would definately have one.

checked all this stuff, but it all checks out good. could it be an exhuast leak in the wields causing this noise..and i guess i kinda said it wrong..its more like a vibration..not a metal to metal rattle

Take your car up to an exhaust shop if you dont know what it is.. Ask them whats wrong. Then ask them how much it will be, go home look on the net and see how much the new part is and see which one is cheaper and go with that. Thats what I would do if I were you. Just a thought :thumbsup:

Archived