tire ratings

Trepid

I believe quality at higher speeds.... Z rated are high speeds, though I have heard Y and Q rated are even higher (200mph+) Though I am not totally sure. Some tires are only reliable up to 80 or so mph, so they are rated lower.

exactly...i'm not sure what all the ratings are. i think that Z rated is good up to like 180mph or 160mph. my bro's girlfriend has Z rated tires on her eclipse gst and she's taken it up to 140 a few times (that she'll admit to anyway). Z rated is all you'll ever need for a honda, seems to be best in all areas.

I think it depends on tire manufacturers really...but the only ones that concern most of the public are H, V, Z. Where H is below 130mph, V is below 149mph, and Z is above 149mph.

W is 168mph and Y is 186mph used for exotic sports cars and the like.

I don't think there's an "A" rated tire, not unless your talking about Traction and Temp, where A is the best and C is the lowest acceptable rating.

• 11 months later...

Here's a bit more detailed info on tire speed ratings: http://www.1010tires.com/tiretech.asp#speed

You just want to make sure you use the same speed rating or higher than what was on your vehicle stock. Speed ratings designate the top safe speed, but it also determines handling at lower speeds. For a Honda you'd want at least a V speed rating. If you want better traction & handling, upgrade to Z, Q or Y. With higher speed ratings, you are often giving up a bit of the ride comfort.

Here's a list of speed ratings:

Q = 99 MPH, 160km/h

S = 112 MPH, 180km/h

T = 118 MPH, 190km/h

U = 124 MPH, 200km/h

H = 130 MPH, 210km/h

V = 149 MPH, 240km/h

Z = 149 MPH, 240km/h and over

W = 168 MPH, 270km/h

Y = 186 MPH, 300km/h

Don't ask me how H got in the middle, I didn't design the system.

Archived