Accord door lock operation .

Huffa

I had a 91 Accord SE sedan and now have a 95 EX wagon and I'll bet the 91 worked the same way and never knew it and some of you may not know it either, read on...............

If you turn your key clockwise (this of course I knew) it opens up just the drivers door BUT (this I didn't know) if you turn it clockwise and hold it in that position for 2 seconds or so, it will open up all the doors.

On the 91 I always tuned it and just unlocked the drivers door, then flipped the lock switch on inside of door to open the rest and all this time (I only had 91 2 years) I most likely didn't have to.

Not that big of a deal but just thought I'd give it a mention.

LMAO. You obviously didn't pay a whole lot of attention over those 2 years. I have a 91 EX sedan and I've only had it like 5 months and I knew that a long time ago. But on mine you don't have to hold it in the position, when you turn it all the doors automatically unlock. BTW I wasn't trying to be rude I just found that kinda funny.

you're not alone mutha huffa. LOL! funny name. a co-worker told me about this wonderful feature. she has an accord in TX. i had no idea either. speaking of door locks, mine acts up big time. i have to hold my interior handle open to lock it. otherwise, it'll act up and not lock and go real crazy. it makes noises as if someone has a remote and is locking and unlocking the door.

could this be a sensor? please advise.

you're not alone mutha huffa. LOL! funny name. a co-worker told me about this wonderful feature. she has an accord in TX. i had no idea either. speaking of door locks, mine acts up big time. i have to hold my interior handle open to lock it. otherwise, it'll act up and not lock and go real crazy. it makes noises as if someone has a remote and is locking and unlocking the door.

Not sure about that at all. If someone had a full factory service manual they may be abl to help? That's a real Mutha of a problem! :D

speaking of door locks, mine acts up big time. i have to hold my interior handle open to lock it. otherwise, it'll act up and not lock and go real crazy. it makes noises as if someone has a remote and is locking and unlocking the door.

Same problem on my '96 Ody... I took the fuse out about 3 years ago when that started (because no one could tell me what was wrong with it) and then about 2 months ago, I put it back in and they work fine. I don't know what the problem is, but I've been trying to figure that out for 3+ years and no one on any forum I've been on has been able to give me an answer that worked...

The reason you can not lock the driver's door, while it's open, with out holding the interior handle is so that you do not lock your keys in the car. That's the thinking anyway...

Now if it occurs on your other doors, then I would worry.

The reason you can not lock the driver's door, while it's open, with out holding the interior handle is so that you do not lock your keys in the car. That's the thinking anyway...

Now if it occurs on your other doors, then I would worry.

+1

If you hold the handle and lock it, then you are intentionally locking the doors and you are expected to have your keys. If you just hit the switch, that could happen on accident. It's just a feature to help make sure you don't lock the doors without remembering your keys. In addition, I believe they wont lock if the keys are in the ignition, even holding the handle.

But I will have to try the "unlock all doors" thing on my civic.

That is correct, but that is not what I'm referring to. If you lock the door with the key from the outside, it will continually lock (like someone pushing the lock button on the remote every 3 seconds)... I found it annoying on my Odyssey, but it doesn't do it anymore...

+1

If you hold the handle and lock it, then you are intentionally locking the doors and you are expected to have your keys. If you just hit the switch, that could happen on accident. It's just a feature to help make sure you don't lock the doors without remembering your keys. In addition, I believe they wont lock if the keys are in the ignition, even holding the handle.

But I will have to try the "unlock all doors" thing on my civic.

And you can lock your doors with the keys in the ignition... lol

• 2 weeks later...

mine has a loud sound. it sounds like the motor keeps running after its locked and it keeps pulling down on the lock but i dont kno what it is. it still locks but it makes that haggard sound. is it the motor or a sensor thats gone bad?

• 4 weeks later...
LMAO. You obviously didn't pay a whole lot of attention over those 2 years. I have a 91 EX sedan and I've only had it like 5 months and I knew that a long time ago. But on mine you don't have to hold it in the position, when you turn it all the doors automatically unlock. BTW I wasn't trying to be rude I just found that kinda funny.

I have a 1991 honda accord lx 4-door with power everything... I cannot use this key feature... I'm a noob when it comes to accords... i have had a 2000 civic ex.... and the accord is better... I know that honda is the bomb... :laugh: If anyone knows if this feature (tuning key clock wise for a few minutes) don't work because i have a lx... please let me know...

p.s. What is the differance between LX, DX, EX, etc.???

Archived